Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas Franchise Tax and PPP loans.

Andrewh546
Level 2

Lacerte does not include forgiven PPP loans in gross receipts.  It is my understanding that they are includible.  Does anyone know different?  What are your opinions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

6 Comments 6
MykMiller
Level 2

PPP does not go in gross receipts.  On your books, you would zero the note payable PPP thru Retained Earnings and it gets added to their basis.  I am not familiar with Lacerte but Pro Series has a spot on the M-1 Items worksheet.  You list it under Income Items in Other Permanent Items.  The amount will then be reported on Sch K, line 16b, as other tax-exempt income.

0 Cheers
Andrewh546
Level 2

I had read that since Texas does not conform to the 2020 tax changes, the Forgiven PPP loan is treated as forgiveness of debt and included as gross receipts for Texas Franchise purposes only.  I agree with the treatment for Federal  filings.

0 Cheers
MykMiller
Level 2

My bad.....I missed the Texas Franchise part.  Sorry can't help with that.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

AICPA has a chart "Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) State Tax Treatment Chart".

The latest revision, Feb 11, 2011, says for TX  under "Taxability of CARES Act PPP loan
forgiveness" - Specific guidance has not been issued."

So I'm in the I don't know camp.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

AICPA has a chart "Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) State Tax Treatment Chart".

The latest revision, Feb 11, 2011, says for TX  under "Taxability of CARES Act PPP loan
forgiveness" - Specific guidance has not been issued."

So I'm in the I don't know camp.

It's going to be a fun tax season, isn't it!?!  I'm thinking we might not know what all the tax laws are by Jeff's extended due date of 8/15 this year.

At least MD made some sort of decision.  I'm sure the MD forms won't be out/approved/efileable for weeks but at least the ball is rolling.  Unfortunately you're the Indiana Jones in this particular episode of tax reality TV!  Run?

VA is still debating just how many business taxpayers they want to screw over.

But back to the current topic:  Texas tax conformity.  There's a problem you don't see very often.  It's not only a conform/don't conform problem, it's also a timing problem.  Are loan proceeds gross receipts when received?  Or when "all events" have made them forgivable?  Or when the SBA stamps the form approved and pays the bank back?

Andrewh546
Level 2

Exactly.  TSCPA has  posted an article that basically says if the legislature doesn't change it, it is taxable.  The loans I am concerned about have been forgiven by the SBA prior to year end, so I have all events.  We can wait to file Texas.  My client likes to accrue the tax and I am trying to decide which way to accrue.