Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oil and gas royalties and QBI

2016year
Level 1

trying to determine is oil and gas royalties (within a partnership entity) are eligible for the QBI?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

Royalties are inherently passive.  Working interest is a different story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
2016year
Level 1

That’s what I was thinking, but in doing some research, I found an article by KPMG that said they are not eligible, and then another article by Deloitte that said they were. IRS doesn’t seem to want to say, as I did further research, so I was thinking maybe there is some current rulings or cases that help one to further determine whether royalties are eligible for QBI

0 Cheers
2016year
Level 1

Oh... and in my research, I found somewhere, I don’t remember where... maybe the IRS, that said passive enterprises can qualify for QBI

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@2016year wrote:

That’s what I was thinking, but in doing some research, I found an article by KPMG that said they are not eligible, and then another article by Deloitte that said they were. IRS doesn’t seem to want to say, as I did further research, so I was thinking maybe there is some current rulings or cases that help one to further determine whether royalties are eligible for QBI

That's why you need to distinguish royalties vs working interest.  Those articles you cited go into great lengths to explain the technicalities.  You may like to re-read them in details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@2016year wrote:

Oh... and in my research, I found somewhere, I don’t remember where... maybe the IRS, that said passive enterprises can qualify for QBI

The safe harbor is only applicable to rental real estate enterprises.  Sounds like you may be confused.  Here're the documents you may like to reference.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/treasury-irs-issue-final-regulations-other-guidance-on-new-qualified-bu...

Still an AllStar