Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Area extension - California

ptax255
Level 5

Hi, is anyone located in the disaster area counties automatically extended to October 16th? Does an extension need to be filed? Do they need to provide any proof that they were "affected? Thank you!

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15
0 Cheers
Baseballfan
Level 1

I think the wording is vague. I am unsure as well. I would like a clear answer as well. The IRS website answers still leaves me with doubts.

0 Cheers
ptax255
Level 5

Agreed. Anyone with previous experience on disaster area extensions?

0 Cheers
cmbtax
Level 2

The first 3 words of IR-2023-33 = Disaster-area taxpayers......

My interpretation is that if you live in a declared disaster area, you are allowed the extension.  It doesn't say "taxpayers impacted by a disaster", which in my mind is different.

CatDskiCPA
Level 2

***UPDATE 10/16/23 & Workarounds to Get Perfection Period****CA FTB has NOT confirmed (as of 5pmPST 10/16/23) to the IRS's change (made today 10/16/23 @ 12pmPST) to the IRS Due Date from 10/16/23 to 11/16/23 for "CA Disaster Taxpayers both business and personal" (defined as all counties except Lassen, Moduc & Shasta per IRS Notice 2023-01) which the IRS announced mid morning 10/16/23 in IR-2023-189 Notice WHICH MOVES THE PERFECTION PERIOD START DATE from 10/17/23 to 11/17/23 for the Federal Tax Return ONLY.   Since CA has NOT yet conformed ANY CA 2022 T/R EFILED AFTER 10/16/23 WILL INCUR LATE FILING PENALTIES.   However CA DOES ALLOW "state-only" tax returns to be efiled AND CA DOES HAVE a 5-day PERFECTION PERIOD from 10/17/23 to 10/21/23 BUT ONLY IF THE CA T/R (Personal or Biz) is filed SEPARATELY by itself (NOT combined with Fed T/R efling).   By Efiling CA 22 T/R separately DURING THIS 5-day PERFECTION PERIOD, YOU WILL AVOID CA LATE FILING PENALTIES BUT ONLY IF YOU DO NOT COMBINE FED WITH CA EFILING.   The Fed T/r MUST WAIT TO BE EFILED AFTER 10/21/23 PREFERABLY ON 10/23/23 to AVOID being batched with the client's CA T/R thereby losing the protection (from LTF Penalties) of the CA-only Perfection Period.

STEP 1:   Turn off Global EFiling to avoid accidentally efiling your Fed T/R's during this CA only perfection period by going (in Lacerte) to Settings / Tax Return / Default to Efile? box s/b unchecked.

STEP 2:  To EFile CA Only, start EFile wizard and make sure the US box is unchecked - which may also uncheck the CA EFile box - RIGHT CLICK on the letters CA to see the popup windown say "EFile DIRECTLY to the State only" select this option  - then the box next to CA will be checked and the US box will remain unchecked.   Go ahead and efile CA only.   ***CAUTION***DO NOT EFILE THE FED T/R UNTIL 10/23/23 to AVOID accidentally getting the Fed T/R batched in with the CA T/R thereby triggering late filing penalties for the CA T/R if efilng after 10/16/23 and before 10/21/23 by 11:59pmPST.

Then wait until AFTER 10/23/23 but before 11/16/23 to efile your Federal 22 T/R's AND if your CA 22 T/R needs to be AMENDED you CAN INCLUDE an AMENDED CA 22 T/R ALONG WITH THE ORIGINALLY EFILED FED 22 T/R by going to Lacerte Screen 59 and on the pull down arrow to choose the box to amend Fed or the box to amend CA you choose "Amend CA only".   This way you will have a matching Fed and CA 540X matching 2022 Tax Return.

THIS IS THE ONLY WORKAROUND TO USE DURING THIS PERFECTION PERIOD - which is a 5 day period for Individuals and a 7-day period (not the 10-days the IRS.gov site says per a Lacerte manager) for all other tax returns.

OK I'm exhausted but I just wanted to share this technique with you all --- AGAIN ONLY USE THIS DURING THE PERFECTION PERIOD AFTER THE CA DUE DATE OF 10/16/23 WHICH ENDS  on 10/21/23 (for Individuals) and 10/23/23 (for all other returns).   OBVIOUSLY IF THE CA FTB ANNOUNCES THAT THEY WILL EXTEND TO THE 11/16/23 FEDERAL DUE DATE THEN YOU CAN DISREGARD THIS DISCUSSION, except the Perfection Period will still exist after the 11/16/23 for the Federal 22 T/R's.

Good luck everyone who still has clients to file during this perfection period ! 

sjrcpa
Level 15
BobKamman
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

CA conformed.

Two words you don't often see in the same sentence.