Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Recovery Rebate help with IRS in 2024

LizPS
Level 4

In 2021 a client received an EIP debit card in the mail that had $700 on it. She never activated the card. She just tried to this month and it was expired. when she called the # of EIP card they said the funds were returned to the IRS and I should get them from them. I can not figure out how to help her get it from the IRS either directly, on her 2023 return or by amending 2021. Any ideas?

I'm using ProSeries Basic and filed her taxes in 2021 as well as today. 

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

"and I should get them from them"

I doubt if they actually told her that.  All you or her can do is either try calling or writing the IRS and explain the situation.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

That was three years ago! Come on. If it was me, I would tell client to take care of it themselves, or go somewhere else if she gets upset by my response. I mean she is bringing up $700 from three years ago!? If she did not activate card then, isn't that her problem? It is middle of tax season, and this is coming up? 

sjrcpa
Level 15

Once upon a time IRS had something on their website about replacing those cards. Don't know if it's still there.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Getting the cash evidently wasn’t a life or death matter if it has taken this long to go looking for it 

Slava Ukraini!
LizPS
Level 4

I'm too nice for this response but I don't disagree,

BobKamman
Level 15
My EIP Card has expired. What do I do?

• For Cards previously activated that have expired – If you still have your Card, contact Money Network customer service at 1.800.240.8100 to check the status of funds on your card. Money Network will provide options on how to recover the remaining funds on the Card after expiration.
  • For Cards that have not been activated – The Card cannot be reissued. The funds will be returned to the IRS after expiration which may take 14 to 21 business days. Please contact the IRS at 1.800.919.9835 21 business days after the expiration date with any questions about the funds.

https://www.eipcard.com/faq