Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R for deceased spouse

pennysahm
Level 2

Spouse passed in 2020 filed as a widow. Received a 1099R for deceased spouse for 2021. How do I file tax return for this 1099R?

0 Cheers
18 Comments 18
IRonMaN
Level 15

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

What do you mean by "filed as a widow."

2020 Would have been Married Filing Joint, since spouse was alive at some point during 2020.

Unless she has a dependent child, 2021 would be filing status Single.

With dependent child, would be "Qualifying Widow".

Next question's - Did they notify the administrator of the death of the spouse, and still got like one payment in the spouse's name at the start of 2021, If the administrator issued payments in the decedent's name all year, that might be a red flag to do more digging as to whether there was any kind of estate work done regarding the spouse's death, or whether someone needs to deal with that now.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@pennysahm 

This is where you need to provide your missing info. Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
pennysahm
Level 2

did file jointly for 2020 but reported death date. Through ignorance not stealth the administrator was notified end of Jan 2021. Again Jan. and Feb. 2021 payments were made in spouse's name. The account is officially in surviving spouse's name for rest of 2021 and she received her own 1099-R.

Just need short answer on how to report the income now.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

OMG, you still didn't include some important details you put elsewhere. Here, let me do it for you:

"the spouse was the primary beneficiary, entitled to this 401K and other retirement income and it was supposed to continue. Unfortunately spouse did not understand she had to change the name on the account."

"she is the primary beneficiary. the money was deposited automatically into joint savings account. The account was not officially switched into her name until March of 2021, which meant the 1099R is for the two months it was deposited in deceased spouses name."

The Bank account isn't what matters. The fact that the money is coming from a 401(k) matters. People helping you need to know it was a 401(k). You have two "accounts" in this discussion.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: Don't like the answer? Call 867-5309 to complain.

@IRonMaN  You're a lousy info provider.  Or, in new-aged English, Your a lousy info provider. 

I mean, what area code??

Below is the number I usually provide.  (See??  Area code included!  Even the"One Dash"!!) 

1-800-922-2222 (That is, 1-800-WAA-AAAA). 

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Just need short answer on how to report the income now."

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I mean, what area code??"

Let me talk to Jenny and I'll get back to you.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I believe 1041 is likely a wrong answer.

1099R's are typically from retirement accounts, which typically have designated beneficiaries.  The typicallynesses would likely make 1041 a wrong answer.

Just my 1.4 cents.  Used to be 2 cents, but see what Putin did to my high tech stocks!!!   

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But if someone cashes checks paid out to dead people, you are either going to call Ghostbusters or fill out a 1041.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Be patient with me while I toss typicallynesses to @IRonMaN .  I'm trying to track down one of my heros' post.  Stay tuned for my other 1.6 cents (lucky this is Sat.  NYSE is closed

).

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: But if someone cashes checks paid out to dead people, you are either going to call Ghostbusters or fill out a 1041.

See 26 U.S. Code Section 691(a)(1)(B) or (C)

But I agree that 69(1)(a)(1)(D) directs you to Ghostbusters.

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

OMG, my voice here is getting smaller with the number of shots of Bourbon I've consumed....

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Too many shots for one day.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Then I got banned.  Had to find the right guy to bribe to get back on....

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-talk/discussion/02/213

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-talk/discussion/02/213" on this server.
Reference #18.9df7df17.1645306793.2864828a

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: pennysahm, New Member, yesterday

Spouse passed in 2020 filed as a widow. Received a 1099R for deceased spouse for 2021. How do I file tax return for this 1099R?

@pennysahm  Yesterday, you were a New Member.  Today, you're an Old Member.  Ain't life grand?

Anyway, Found IT!!!  Hope it's worth the wait.

Below, you'll find my hero's answers in the thread 1099-R in deceased spouses name.  @codeblue123  was the Asker.  I just noticed you DID chime in there.   
If you were related to @codeblue123, there would be two deaths in you circle within two years.  Very sad!!!

BobKammon answered.  You DID chime in; so,  I wonder why you started another thread here.  Anyway, for what it's worth, I found my hero BobKamman's  words back in 2020, and included them below.  I'd agree with him.  I'm always late to parties and can only laugh at the jokes way after they were told.

@IRonMaN  said 1041.  He said it on the internet.  I also go by the rule that if it's on the internet, it has to be true.  So, you're on your own....

BobKamman
BobKamman
Level 15
02-29-2020 11:54 PM
Yes, to including the income. The tax is on the income, not on the piece of paper.

Claiming credit for the withholding: If it's $25 I probably would, to save IRS the expense of processing a lot more paperwork. If it's $2,500 I would tell the spouse to go back to the company, ask it to issue a 1099-MISC and zero out the 1099-R, and refund the withholding. People shouldn't cash other people's checks just because they're dead and then expect other people to help them out of a tax situation.

codeblue123
codeblue123
Level 3
02-29-2020 05:09 PM
The surviving spouse cashed the check, so you would include the 1099-R on the surviving spouses tax return even though it has the deceased spouse's social security number? Would you paper file the tax return because there is federal & state tax withheld on this 1099-R?

BobKamman
BobKamman
Level 15
02-27-2020 07:04 PM
If the surviving spouse cashed the check -- or if it was paid to him/her in the first place -- it's income in respect of decedent, and reported on the 1040 of the recipient.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe they deemed you to be TUI - typing while under the influence.  Did you have to blow into your keyboard before they let you back in?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I called 1-800-922-2222.  It worked.

0 Cheers