Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R for deceased spouse who died in 2021

cafroning
Level 1

I have a client whose husband passed away in 2021.  He received a 1099R for tax year 2022. She is filing as Qualifying Surviving Spouse because she has a 20 year old daughter in college.  The 1099R was issued in his name with his social security number.  Box 7 distribution code is 4.  The taxable amount is on $3,649.58.  No taxes withheld.  I don't believe I would file a separate return under his social security number. Suggestions??

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

Same question from earlier this week.  She got the money, right?  It goes on her return.  We have a tax on income, not on pieces of paper.  

cafroning
Level 1

It's not under her social security number. So, how is it entered on the return?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15
BobKamman
Level 15

Use her SSN, no one will complain.  Or if you are OCD, enter it as Other, "Income in Respect of Decedent."  Or something like that.  

jamewilkiesdoug
Level 1

Losing a spouse is a difficult and emotional experience, and the grief can be overwhelming. When a spouse dies in 2021, the surviving spouse may be left with many questions and concerns, including financial and legal issues.