Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1095A gone crazy

JimmyTheMan
Level 2

Husband wife got ACA and divorced in the same year but kept it for the whole year She made nothing in 19 he made $30,912 in SS and took $20,207 from 401k early but $4k in taxes were deducted which should cover penalty and tax On 1095 A part 3 A monthly enrollment premiums $1908 all the way down...silver  B plan $1619 all the way down and advanced payment C $1585 all the way down. Although I put nothing on medical after I enter 1095 A it populates with $20950 in medical premiums. I did through some mortgage interest and prop tax of $5210 total and $74 in earned interest

His adjusted gross income is now $25,951 and he owes $17,000 to the FED His ex wife says she paid only $332 per month last year to blue cross blue shield

I did see someone owe $9k a few years back but $17k? He gets a $1500 refund from Maryland but 17K? not LOL

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

8 Comments 8
qbteachmt
Level 15

I tried really hard to read all of that, but you need to sort it out and restate it.

You told us they are Divorced, so what she made has no bearing on him if you are filing Single. Also, you didn't state if he continued to pay for family coverage the entire year, or there are month to month changes to show when he was no longer had family coverage. You mention an Advanced Payment, but is that an Advanced Payment Credit or an affordability payment? You mention mortgage interest and property taxes, which have nothing to do with the health coverage worksheet values or 1095A entries. You stated what his AGI is "now" but not what it is for purposes of the Health care coverage limits. You didn't state how this all shows for the limit of 401% of the poverty level. You want MAGI:

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/modified-adjusted-gross-income-magi/

And I don't understand how what she paid to BC/BS affects his tax return if they are filing Single.

Could you please sort it out and give the details that are pertinent to the issue? Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
JimmyTheMan
Level 2

The guy is filing single and his ex paid for their insurance the entire year but we will count it as if he paid for it. Looks like they kept the family coverage the entire year as the 1095A is consistent He had $30,192 in Social Security but the program is only counting $5670 as income Looks like his income is just over 2 times but not 4 times the Federal poverty level. Obviously its the pension that is killing him. Does he really $17K?

no regular income

Interest income74
Taxable pensions20,207
Taxable social security benefits5,670
Total income25,951
Total adjustments0
Adjusted gross income25,951
Medical & dental20,990
Taxes3,769
Interest3,107
Total itemized deductions27,866
Standard deduction12,200
Larger of itemized or standard deduction27,866
Taxable income-1,915
Excess advance premium tax cr. repayment19,020
Tax before credits19,020
Total credits0
Tax after credits19,020
Tax on IRAs, other qual. ret. plans, etc2,021
Total tax21,041
Federal income tax withheld from 401K4,041
Total payments4,041
Amount you owe17,000
Marginal tax rate0.0%

Excess advance premium tax cr. repayment19,020
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Who is the recipient of the 1095A? She paid, but who does it belong to? The banking doesn't matter. The tax rules matter.

This doesn't seem right: "took $20,207 from 401k early but $4k in taxes were deducted"

You entered the net, not the gross taxable? Taxes would be withheld from the Gross distribution.

I wonder about this: "it populates with $20950 in medical premiums" and then you show $20,990 Medical&Dental, which would be Care, not Premiums. Did he really have that much in Medical Costs?

I'm not sure this internet forum is the place to review this much detail. Do you have someone locally to mentor you?

JimmyTheMan
Level 2

Both the man and his ex wife are the recipient of the 1095A  I added nothing into the software for his medical bills but after I input the 1095A the $20950 populates as Medical & Dental  He took $20,207 of his 401K, and yes they took $40140 in Fed taxes and actually took $1566 in state taxes. I did enter the total amount of the distribution as as Code 1 an early distribution, A Gross Distribution, the Taxable amount, and Total Distribution I did not enter the net. He was in the hospital for a week It could have easily been $21K I do not have a mentor we could really use your help

Thank You James

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I recommend you pare this to the details that apply and you post it in the Forum for the Program you are using, and not here in Tax Talk. That way, you get the help you need for the program you are using to prepare their tax return.

0 Cheers
JimmyTheMan
Level 2

I'm using Pro Connect and support said this forum would answer any questions I asked as long as I posted it yesterday

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and support said this forum would answer any questions I asked as long as I posted it yesterday"

You are referring to the "Ask Me Anything" event, which sort of fizzled.

This is not Intuit Support. This is an internet community forum of peer users. I gave some general tax-type references and asked for clarity on these details. You seem to now need specific help. Not Tax Regulation or Tax Changes help.

You posted in the Tax Talk section, but you are asking about specific form and line number entry and amounts. Since you are using a specific program as well, it helps to ask your Volunteer peer users on that specific subforum, since they use that same specific program, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online/discussion/03/304

qbteachmt
Level 15

I am noting here the link to this topic, now that it is asked in the program section:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online-discussions/discussion/1095a-gone-craz...

And it is being answered there. Hope that helps.