Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Schedule 8812 appearing for a disabled dependent age 23?

david3
Level 7

TP has a 23 year old disabled dependent. PS automatically includes Schedule 8812: Child Tax Credit and requires box 13 to be completed.

Why is PS requiring this form to be completed when the advanced child tax credit doesn't apply to Other Dependents?

Is this something that needs to be fixed or am I missing something here?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitGabi
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think the 8812 may show up on every return, just in case your did get one of those ACTC advanced payments (even if you weren't supposed to). Cant you just put a zero on the line?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
david3
Level 7

Yes, and you also have to check that they lived in a home in the U.S., which is extra, unnecessary work when things get hopping.

Thanks.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Agreed. F8812 is appearing for a Single person, no children, but only one question is marked Error to be cleared.

On another return, MFJ with two children, there are 4 errors to be cleared.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
IntuitGabi

Here's an article that could give some extra info as well: Common questions about the Child Tax Credit and 8812 in ProSeries 

athaureaux6
Level 8

I think 8812 is part of the checking process. It is my understanding that it was designed to verify the requirements for the ACTC. For example, dependents that are claimed in alternate years would cause that somebody will have to return the credit, also if the taxpayer earned more money in 2021 than in 2020 over the credit's limit, it will also be affected. Congress asked the IRS to look for a way to avoid double-dipping. That is what I understood from this law. Thanks. 

Thank you for asking. This form is being required for a family member who has never had a child. I thought I must have done something in error on the information sheet for it to attach to her return, but I certainly can't find anything. Seems silly when there is no history or indication. 

0 Cheers
gbayus
Level 3

I have read thru the comments below.....this is rediculous!   8812 SHOULD NOT populate on every tax return!  Another example of "programmers" trying to write code when they don't understand its purpose.  PROSERIES FIX IT! 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Theres nothing to fix. Its working as designed.

0 Cheers
gbayus
Level 3

Are you a programmer?   Do you have inside knowledge the rest of us don't?  You are an unlicensed tax preparer......you have no idea "how something is supposed to work"!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes actually, I do. 

Intuit says its working as designed.

You can complain about it as much as you'd like, this is what weve been given to work with.

0 Cheers