Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ProSeries Basic posting a Form 8812 Child Tax Credit error when the taxpayer has no children or dependents listed?

Busy123
Level 3

Why is ProSeries Basic posting a Form 8812 Child Tax Care Credit error when the taxpayer has no children or dependents listed.  

When I ran the review for my first two clients that have no dependents or children listed on their returns, an error is highlighted on Form 8812 under "Principal Place of Abode Letter 6419 Information Smart Worksheet"- Line B1 Advanced child tax credit payments received from letter 6419 - Taxpayer.

When I enter the appropriate amount of $0 the error goes away. However, it seems a waste of time because Form 8812 is not relevant to these taxpayers.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

It's a safety feature.  Not everyone can swim so ProSeries forces everyone to wear floaties on their arms.

It's possible to have no dependents in 2021 but still have gotten advance CTC payments based on prior year tax filings.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
GodFather
Level 8

It may be a waste of time but it seems ProSeries is populating the 8812.  Add the zero or delete the form and you're fine.  

rbynaker
Level 13

It's a safety feature.  Not everyone can swim so ProSeries forces everyone to wear floaties on their arms.

It's possible to have no dependents in 2021 but still have gotten advance CTC payments based on prior year tax filings.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
plopping a couple zeros on a page doesnt seem like to much of a time suck, we have to mark that stupid cryptobox for everyone too, nobody is complaining about that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Busy123
Level 3

Thank you, Godfather.

Busy123
Level 3

Thank you, rbynaker