Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid 1099R in 2020 not carrying over to 2021

DCollotta
Level 2

I had many clients who probably took a Covid Related distribution in 2020.  All of the elected to spread it over the 3 years.  This item is not not carrying over to 2021 and the 8915F is not final yet.

Is there anyway to search all of me 2020 return for people who have 1099Rs?

Form 1099R does not show up in the client analyzer?

GRRRRRR

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Hopefully you left good BIG notes in your previous years file for those clients who chose that election, as I have not seen anyone post a reasonable way to do a search in the software.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

1.  Here is Section 2202(a)(5) of Cares Act:

(5) Income inclusion spread over 3-year period.--
(A)   In general.--In the case of any coronavirus-related distribution, unless the taxpayer elects not to have this paragraph apply for any taxable year, any amount required to be included in gross income for such taxable year shall be so included ratably over the 3-taxable-year period beginning with such taxable year.

Taxpayers don't ELECT to have the coronavirus-related distribution taxed over three years.   It's the default tax treatment.

2.  The coronavirus-related distributions were reported on Form 8915-E.  The 1/3 for 2021 is to be reported on 8915F which (as you indicated) is not final yet.

Why do you have to search for clients who had 1099-R for 2020?  Folks didn't just divide the 1099-R amounts by three to report the Coronavirus-related distributions.  Why not search for clients who filed Form 8915-E for 2020?  (Lacerte has the capability to display the filing of specified forms, including 8915-E.  I don't know about Pro-series Pro.)

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.