Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY DO DEAD DEPENDANTS COME BACK TO LIFE???????????????????????????????

GlobalOne
Level 2

Client has a parent as a dependent in 2020. Parent dies in 2020. DOD is on the return (in dependent info). On 2021 return dependant is brought back to life (all dependent info transferred to 2021 EXCEPT THE DOD).   WHY??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Common complaint here...it doesn't remove dead dependents.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
GlobalOne
Level 2

That is a HUGE problem. Really should have been fixed by now......

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

One keystroke to fix, or two?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think two.  It has to be at least three keystrokes for me to move an issue into the huge problem category.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

abctax55
Level 15

32 question marks ./. 2 keystrokes ='s 16 clients with this issue.... just an observation.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

Or maybe I should have asked about mouse clicks.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Are there any mice around here to click these days?  I mean with Jim's cat Debit and his other cat Debit, we should be pretty much mouse free.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

JustLisaNow_0-1647649063512.png

rcooley25
Level 11

Maybe the system thought he was Jesus Christ and would rise again after 3 days.

BobKamman
Level 15

IS IT on the return?  Or just on the worksheet?  I just killed off one of my client's dependents, on 6/30/21, and nothing changes on Page 1 of the 1040. So what is the purpose of it being on the worksheet?  To keep it from being rolled over to next year, but then the programmers forgot why they put it there?  Or maybe something shows up in the Organizer. "Remember your son died the year before."

0 Cheers