Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my forms in use change order within my tax return and how can I fix that?

dmjohnston1
Level 2

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitCharlene

The Forms Bar can have display issues if the Forms Cache gets damaged. Normally we see the Forms Bar completely blank but it depends on the extent of the damage.

To rebuild that cache file (This does NOT impact customer data): 

1. Close ProSeries.
  2. Open File Explorer.
  3. Browse to the following folder:
    •  C:\ProWinYY\Forms (C:\BasWinYY\Forms for ProSeries Basic).
      • YY represents the two-digit tax year.
  4. Locate, right-click and Delete the following files:
    • cache.fdfi
    • RNCACHE
  5. Open ProSeries again and it'll rebuild new cache files. 

Let me know if that helps and if it does I'll get a request in to update the article to cover this issue as well. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive seen this reported by others, no clue how or why this happens or how to fix it, it seems very random....have you exited the program and restarted? Does it go back to normal?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dmjohnston1
Level 2

Yes, I have tried that and no, it didn't fix it.  How frustrating!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I did see this option, if I right click in the blue bar at the very top of the Forms In Use List, Revert to Default...does that do anything?  or maybe Close the Forms bar window and reopen?

resetformsinuse.png

0 Cheers
Jsyrus
Level 2

Anyone find a fix for this? I hate it when it happens and I haven't been able to find a solution to get it back in order. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its just so random, Im not sure its even officially been recognized as an "issue" that needs to be fixed.

0 Cheers
hkaelber
Level 2

IT seems that the ordering of Forms In Use issue remains unresolved.  This is very inconvenient for those of us who have to perform a final review of returns prepared by staff.  We have trained our preparers to prepare tax back up files ordered the same as the Forms In Use.  While not so much of a problem when reviewing simple returns, it is a major problem when reviewing complex returns with multiple inputs. Can this issue be resolved???

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Again, Im not sure its even something thats being worked on since it cant be duplicated on purpose.  

@IntuitGabi do you have any info on this?   Im wondering if its a network issue, I dont think Ive ever seen it happen on any of my clients on my stand alone set up.

0 Cheers
hkaelber
Level 2

Our firm has been using ProSeries for more than a decade.  I've seen it happen this year for various types of new K-1s added to clients with an existing list of K-1's.  Now, I'm working on a file that has Schedules A, B C, D, E, E2 and 15 K-1s with active related forms to each.  At the very bottom of Forms In Use, Form 1098, Sch B, Sch C with related 4562, 8829 and Asset entry items.  All at the very bottom of the Forms In Use - Forms Bar.  All else seems to be ordered as expected.  We are on a "stand alone" setup.

I've seen this issue occur in a Quickbooks chart of accounts setup.  And in QB, you can always resort the order by alpha or numeric order.  But no such resorting tool seems available and Revert to Default does nothing.  Hopefully this additional information helps if someone at ProSeries takes the time to troubleshoot this issue.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I'm not on a network and I have a garbled-up mess on many of my clients.  

IntuitCharlene

The Forms Bar can have display issues if the Forms Cache gets damaged. Normally we see the Forms Bar completely blank but it depends on the extent of the damage.

To rebuild that cache file (This does NOT impact customer data): 

1. Close ProSeries.
  2. Open File Explorer.
  3. Browse to the following folder:
    •  C:\ProWinYY\Forms (C:\BasWinYY\Forms for ProSeries Basic).
      • YY represents the two-digit tax year.
  4. Locate, right-click and Delete the following files:
    • cache.fdfi
    • RNCACHE
  5. Open ProSeries again and it'll rebuild new cache files. 

Let me know if that helps and if it does I'll get a request in to update the article to cover this issue as well. 

hkaelber
Level 2

Thank you for providing the fix.  After following your instructions, the file I was working on yesterday is now showing the Forms In Use Bar as would be normally expected.  I have printed out these instructions to a PDF and distributed it internally.  Thank you again for providing the solution!

0 Cheers
IntuitCharlene

Thank you for confirming! I'll get this 'symptom' added to our Forms Bar article to help anyone that runs into this in the future. 

0 Cheers
Jsyrus
Level 2

I did these steps and it did not fix the issue for me. Are there different steps for computers that are on a network?

0 Cheers
IntuitCharlene

The Forms folder is Local on each machine in a network so this step would fix the issue if the cache is the problem, but there are a few less common scenarios that can cause the Forms Bar to be damaged. Using Forms Bar in ProSeries Professional has a few of the more advanced rebuilds in the section "Why is the Forms Bar or Open Forms window blank, or showing out of order?". 

Jsyrus
Level 2

I did all options except the dual monitor one, since I couldn't figure out how to turn off my second monitor. None of the other steps corrected my issue. I'm not sure what to try next. 

0 Cheers
IntuitCharlene

If the solutions in the article did not resolve the issue it may be best to contact technical support to see what else can be done. 

0 Cheers