Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are North Carolina 2020 Amended Returns being rejected??

powellrh1
Level 2

Any other North Carolina users out there having a problem with electronically filed 2020 Amended NC Returns being rejected because there was a "previous refund" entered on line 24?   The problem is in the "programming language" of ProSeries.  Returns with "previous payments" are accepted while returns with "previous refunds" are rejected.  First, ProSeries said it was a problem with the NC Department of Revenue receiving the data.  However, the NC Dept of Revenue provided me with the XML interface received from Intuit for a particular client's rejected 2020 Amended NC return.  Clearly, the "Previous Refund" entered on the return itself in ProSeries is not included in the "language" received from ProSeries per the XML.  Interestingly enough, I have e-filed a 2021 NC Amended Return for a client that also had a previous refund and it WAS accepted.  Intuit added the Electronic 2020 NC Amended Return option recently (sometime after November 2021) as it was not an option last November when a NC law was changed that required thousands of 2020 returns filed in NC to be amended.  While the law change brought the problem to our attention, it should also be mentioned that we have two more years to amend 2020 returns in NC that could have other reasons for amending.  I have spent hours on the phone (several calls)  with different customer service representatives but get the same run around.  No one will address the program language issue.  We have a case number assigned to our problem, but have not received any communication from anyone.  I called back again today and had to go over the details again (this is the third time).  The resolution seems to be "file a paper return".   My frustration is this.....ProSeries offers 2020 Electronic NC Amended Returns as part of their product.  North Carolina is one of a handful of states that accepts Electronically Filed Amended Returns from 2020 and forward.  We pay for this product.  As it stands right now, we have to discern which client has a "previous refund" vs a "previous payment" and communicate with the client on a case by case basis whether or not we can e-file their amended NC return.  It would "seem" that the fix would be fairly simple.  Compare the 2021 XML with the 2020 XML and insert the missing line of language in the 2020 programming file.  Of course, I am no programmer, just a CPA trying to use a product that we purchased but only works "some of the time".   Any suggestions from fellow CPAs?  (Putting previous refunds as a negative amount on the line for previous payments does not work.  While the math calculates correctly, the negative number also causes a rejection.  But it was worth a try.)