Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is responsible for issuing a 1099-Div for a liquidating distribution

jskouberdis
Level 4

If I as the independent accountant issue a 1099-Div for a liquidating distribution for a client of mine in their final year and I give them the 1096 and 1099-Div to sign and mail in and they neglect to mail in the form are they liable for any penalties.  Also if I as the preparer prepared and gave to client to sign and mail in is there any penalties assigned to me.  My feeling is that I did my job and it is up to the business owner to mail in to the IRS and all penalties would fall on them.  What is the communities opinion.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You did your job, they didn't do theirs.  In the event there were any penalties, the client can go look in the mirror to find out who is responsible.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

You did your job, they didn't do theirs.  In the event there were any penalties, the client can go look in the mirror to find out who is responsible.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

whos to say the client did mail it and IRS just lost it in all their craziness...just keep a copy on file, in the event of an audit, they would ask you to produce a copy.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

It is their responsibility to mail the forms in and if they do not, then that is their problem. I think you are okay. Also keep in mind that we only prepare returns for clients that we specifically agreed to prepare. For example, some clients may do their own payroll tax returns or have a payroll processor  do it. Other clients they do their own sales tax, etc.... just my opinion

PATAX
Level 15

Maybe it could have been one of the millions of informational returns which were allegedly destroyed I believe back in March of 2021???

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: In the event there were any penalties, the client can go look in the mirror to find out who is responsible.

And in the real world, many a client will be asking: 

Mirrormirror on the wall, who's the deepest pocket of them all? 

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.