Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which file to transfer

don49
Level 1

For my 2020 clients that I efiled prior  to the unemployment exclusion, I had locked them. I then saved them and used that file to file amended state returns. The second files have federal returns which were never efiled, but corrected for the unemployment exclusion by the IRS and refunds issued. The two federal returns have different AGI's, of course, so I wonder which to transfer to the 2021 year?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

1) Don't transfer until at least January.

2) Transfer the file that has the most correct, up-to-date information.

don49
Level 1

My concern is that the IRS and the state uses the most recent AGI as part of a security check.  So the AGI changed after the IRS made the change for the unemployment exclusion.  This new AGI is not part of an efile or an amended return.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I mistakenly thought your amended returns used the corrected numbers.  I'm sorry about that misunderstanding.

Ideally, transfer a file that has the ACTUAL numbers that the IRS finally ended up with.

However, in most cases, it won't matter.  It really only would affect if the changed AGI affected any carryover numbers. 

As far as your comment about the most recent AGI for security check, are you using ProSeries?  I don't think the prior-year AGI method is even an option for tax professionals, is it?

0 Cheers
finnera
Level 1

I transferred all files, but only updated the files identified as amended with 2021 data.   The 2021 file name also includes  amended in name and will that be a problem when i file electronically.  I do not want 2021 to reflect amended from 2020.  Please advise.

0 Cheers