Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where I do enter 1099S from for sale principal residence

Mairof
Level 3

House sold by $1,860 000 in California. The client received a 1099S. She does not have any income. Where do I enter in Pro Series. She have to pay taxes?

Also received a California Form 593 where certified that is fully exempt the sale from withholding.

0 Cheers
26 Comments 26
dkh
Level 15

Complete the Home Sale Worksheet.  That will determine if the client owes.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Removed, I didnt read the full post...DUH!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"that is fully exempt the sale from withholding."

Always keeping in mind that some event being exempt from Withholding doesn't mean not owing taxes... Withholding simply is prepayment against likely taxes. Until the tax returns are prepared, you don't see the full picture.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

More details other than sale amount. 

Principal, how long owned, cost, improvements......you have not really given us anything. 

Mairof
Level 3

She bought the house in Jul 17, 2019 for $1,232 500. She lived there and did not spend any money.  She sold the house for $1,860 000.

Thank you

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

That's a gain of $ 627,500 (unless you forgot to tell us about any selling costs ?????).

Looks to me like there IS a tax liability.

Unless "she" is married?  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I agree w/ @abctax55 

Plus she bought 07/19, when did she sell? Did she meet the 2 year test? Has she sold another home? 

sjrcpa
Level 15

If she has no income, what did she live on? Especially prior to the sale.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Susan - the OP said somewhere in this thread  ".....She lived there and did not spend any money".   

I wanna know how to do that too.  Even with COVID & tax season, I still spend money.   Amazon is 'very' convenient in helping with that 😂

( Generic Comment )"
Mairof
Level 3

Hi German, she is married and sold the house on Feb18, 2022

0 Cheers
Mairof
Level 3

Has she sold another home? no

0 Cheers
Mairof
Level 3

She did not pay the home mortgages and property taxes but she received 1098 form from 2021

0 Cheers
Mairof
Level 3

Hi German, she is married and sold the house on Feb18, 2022

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

2022 or 2021 ?    

if 2021,  complete the Home Sale Worksheet   answer questions carefully because the two year period was not met for the $500,000 exclusion to fully apply..... assuming the spouse also lived in the home since July 2019

If 2022, this would be reported on next years tax return

Mairof
Level 3

thank you

the client would like to have an estimate of how much need to pay for sold the house 2022 

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@Mairof Oh, this is a 22 issue?

As @abctax55 stated, you do have a gain in excess of $600k. But this does not include closing costs. Assuming they meet all qualifications, they can exclude the first $500k.

Im guessing that will leave some liability IRS and CA. Make estimated tax payments to both. I'd personally bypass that form from Ca. BUT..........ask @Just-Lisa-Now- as she is from Cali. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

Who paid them?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Will this be a Married Filing Joint return?

And if she doesn't have income, does the spouse?

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you prepare the 2021 return? If so, open it and use SAve As and save it as WhatIf Estimate...enter the sale as if it happened in 2021 and see what kind of gain she ends up with for Fed and CA, then you'll have a good idea of how much to pay in estimated taxes.  You may have to backdate your purchase date so that the time frame for ownership is correct since youre using 2021 program instead of 2022.

Be sure to uncheck the EF boxes on that Saved As copy, or you'll see red errors in the EFCenter for a duplicate SSN.

Mairof
Level 3

I'm sorry, she is single

0 Cheers
Mairof
Level 3

thank you Garman, this is why she need to know an estimate taxes (Fed & CA)

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Personally - I am done with this thread until/if/when the OP can provide ALL info at one time.

@Mairof  - we don't charge by the word on this forum.

@garman22  - ignoring the F 593 IF it has actually been prepared/sent to the FTB wouldn't be a good idea 😉  but I now suspect (mind reading at work here..) that the OP is attempting to help his/her client prepare the F 593 to give to the Title Company.

( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ohhh, you think they're filling out the 593 for the title company?

I read it as it was already sold and they had the 593 that was marked as a sale that qualifies for 121 exclusion so exempt from withholding...so no withholding there.

I agree, having to try and pull bits and pieces of info about the transaction is tiresome.

sjrcpa
Level 15

I'm done here, too.

Ex-AllStar
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Single??? How do you mess that one up?? You said married.

Im out too. 

Mairof
Level 3

thank you very much, I really appreciate all information.

0 Cheers