Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I switch clients it does not ask me if I want to save the file. How do I add that? It did it prior years.

bob808
Level 3

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I do the same thing, I make little "what if" changes just to see what might happen so I understand and I have been tripped up like that a few times..  I think the default autosave time is 10 minutes, so you may have just hit it at the right time.

Do your returns always have a state involved?  If you make it a habit to always switch over to the state prior to exiting when youve been tinkering around with a return it will always ask if you want to save prior to exiting.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I have that happen from time to time and I freak out, I have my autosave set to 1 minute, I "think" if its just done the autosave and I haven't made any changes since it did it, t doesn't ask if I want to save when I exit.

When you reopen the client file, is your work not saved?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

P.S.  Its almost muscle memory for me now to switch over to the state on every return prior to exiting, then it ALWAYS asks if I want to save or not.

0 Cheers
bob808
Level 3

When I open the file again it is not saved. I realized that when I entered a w2 then moved on to another client. When I went back the w2 information was missing. I do not want to do autosave because sometimes I make changes just to see the tax savings, like add a SEP payment, and don't want it to automatically save my change. Now it is asking me if I want to save maybe I received an update.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I do the same thing, I make little "what if" changes just to see what might happen so I understand and I have been tripped up like that a few times..  I think the default autosave time is 10 minutes, so you may have just hit it at the right time.

Do your returns always have a state involved?  If you make it a habit to always switch over to the state prior to exiting when youve been tinkering around with a return it will always ask if you want to save prior to exiting.

bob808
Level 3

Thanks for the tip on going to the state returns. I do have several returns I do for people that live in no tax states, but only about 10.

ljr
Level 8

over the years I've gotten into the habit of hitting F9 then F10 every time I input something and move on to the next sections. Finish w-2's F9 F10, Finish 1099-r's F9 F10. it's now something I'm not even aware of anymore, been burned to many times. Plus I have the refund monitor up and I like to watch it change as I input. That's just my way of having fun when they come in asking about how big their refund will be and I'm watching it calculate a balance due. 

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the report. This has been resolved in a recent update.