Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can we do when the Federal ID number on the W-2 form does not match what IRS has?

caroljo
Level 5
I have a client who got a w-2 form as a household employee.  The Federal ID number does not match what IRS has on file.  How do I file her taxes?
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Make sure the number is the actual number that was given to the employer.  If it is correct, it might be too new and not on file yet which means you would have to paper file.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Make sure the number is the actual number that was given to the employer.  If it is correct, it might be too new and not on file yet which means you would have to paper file.

Slava Ukraini!
caroljo
Level 5

I have a feeling the employer is using their social security number.  I guess I will have to paper file.  The client was taking care of an ill person who has now since passed away.  So there is no reason for the employer to get a Fed ID number now.  

dascpa
Level 11

This may be correct.  I filed for a household employer's EIN in January.  All three employee's e-file were rejected.  Apparently the IRS (shock) is slow in setting this up even though it's done online.