Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

w2 with zero for SS and Medicare wages

mcd1231
Level 4

My client has a W2 with wages in box 1 and Federal income tax w/h in box 2. Box 3,4,5,6 and 7 all have zeros in them.  When I last did this client's return in 2019, she was paid on a 1099. Why did the employer not withhold these taxes?  What do I do next?

15 Comments 15
sjrcpa
Level 15

State or local government or university employer?

Prepare the return using the W-2 received.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The client may want to check with the employer to make sure its correct, but this isnt uncommon for certain types of employers.

YOU dont need to do anything except enter the W2 as its been issued.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
mcd1231
Level 4

No she worked as a yacht steward

mcd1231
Level 4

No she worked on a yacht as a steward

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like she either works for an idiot, or someone trying to cheat the system, or both.  You might want to have her check with her employer as to what they are doing. 

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@mcd1231 @IRonMaN @Just-Lisa-Now- @sjrcpa I think I may have just found the answer. On a website called dockwalk.com. "foreign flagged vessel employed by foreign entity might not be required to pay social security and Medicare tax." You can go on this website yourself, but I would use  smartphone to do it, just in case of any viruses or something like that. But website does look legitimate . Hope this helps. Just my opinion

qbteachmt
Level 15

"she worked on a yacht as a steward"

"I think I may have just found the answer."

It just proves the points that more details always help and details matter. Good mind-reading.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sjrcpa
Level 15

And the next question is - does the client have to pay SS and Medicare tax on these wages?

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

Once I heard yacht steward I thought that would be the case.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

If it is a foreign yacht "flying the Russian flag" , then it may currently be "impounded"........ Just my opinion.

rcooley25
Level 11

Sounds Like Her Employer might qualify for a position at Intuit.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think it is flying the Cooley flag and loaded with Fireball whiskey 😁

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

I have been informed by some of my family that for fathers day I will receive a nice huge supply of fireball whiskey.

mcd1231
Level 4

Thank you for the information.  I have read the article.  She did indeed work on a yacht with the foreign flag being Grand Caymen.  I contacted the Social Security Administration regarding ss and Medicare taxes and they told me to contact the IRS.  I am trying to dig deeper because the article in the Dockwalk publication said her wages MIGHT not be subject to ss and Medicare taxes.  I have searched IRS.Gov website and cannot find clarification.  

PATAX
Level 15

You're welcome

0 Cheers