Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utah electronic funds withdrawal not available.

erinb
Level 1

Pro Series allowed me to choose electronic funds withdrawal for Utah balance due. The electronic filing instructions showed that was the payment method. And, no errors showed on the return screens for Utah. 

Utah balances due can be paid online, by mail, or in person only. Nowhere on the TC-40 is there a place for the state of Utah to withdraw the funds.

Since my two clients ended up paying late once they realized that the withdrawals had not actually happened, they had to pay penalties and interest. 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Direct Debit is only for Efiled returns, so you wouldn't see anything on the actual tax form itself for direct  debit...is that what youre stating?  

If you look at a federal 1040, you wouldn't see anything on it for direct debit either.

Double check the routing and account numbers that were entered, have the client contact their bank, was a debit attempted at all?  If the info you entered was correct but UT just didnt do what they were told to do, Im not sure what more you could have done.

I try and get my clients to make their debit dates a week prior to the due date, ,just in case it doesnt happen for whatever reason, theyve still got a few days to get payment made in time, if they want to wait for the very last day, they can go online and make it themselves.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
erinb
Level 1

Utah state doesn't do Direct Debit. So, even if there was a way to tell Utah that you wanted direct debit, it wouldn't happen because they don't allow that option.

No attempts were made for either client. It should be an error or not an option for the state of Utah return in the software. The Electronic Filing Instructions says "Paying balance due by electronic funds withdrawal." But, again this is not an option with Utah so the software shouldn't claim that it is.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So on the UT information worksheet ProSeries allows you to set up the Direct Debit option but UT doesnt allow it?

Wow, that needs to be fixed!

@IntuitGabi  can this be looked into?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IntuitGabi

This is the first report we've seen of this. Are you sure that you have all the appropriate boxes checked? 

Utah electronic filing.png

Here's the link for Utah income tax payment options
Please call into support so we can look into your client files to ensure everything checks out. 

LenaF
Level 2

FYI - I have one Client I prepare UT returns for many years. We checked electronic withdrawal for 2021 return that was filed on 10-13-22.  They took the electronic payment on same day.  

Here is what I did - even thou  the "do not want electronic withdrawal for state payment is checked on the State return, I entered the bank info and date of withdrawal.  they took the payment!

for 2022 return - I didn't want to take the risk so I went on UT State website and made the payment.  it was simple when using the e-check pay.  

I hope this helped!

Lena

0 Cheers