Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment

cruiser626
Level 1

I was wondering about the tax returns that we have already done.  I guess we will be expected to go back and make all the tax returns we have done and find the ones that had unemployment?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
LG-CPA
Level 4

The IRS doesn't want anyone to amend tax returns if they filed already but paid tax on unemployment.  It is possible the IRS will adjust and send out refunds.

BobKamman
Level 15

It will take IRS a few weeks to figure out it's impossible to adjust on their own.  They can find returns reporting unemployment, and they can find returns with a negative number on Line 8 of Schedule 1, but they can't automatically determine if that number relates to the unemployment received.  They can also match 1099-G data from states to returns, but they can't tell how much of it was already deducted on Line 8 (maybe the taxpayer had an NOL), and they can't recompute some of the other deductions and credits that depend on AGI.  

LG-CPA
Level 4

Agreed - I think their "don't amend yet" is just a stall-tactic because they are overwhelmed.  Thanks Congress!  We all appreciate that you crapped up yet another tax season.

BobKamman
Level 15

Thanks Congress! We all appreciate that you gave our clients the ability to discern which preparers have the flexibility and temperament to adjust to challenges.  

0 Cheers
LG-CPA
Level 4

Hmmm...was that a dig?  Just checking my ability to "discern".

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@LG-CPA wrote:

Hmmm...was that a dig?  Just checking my ability to "discern".

You can retire now.  You've made it to the esteemed "picked on by BobKamman" level.  I believe as part of the updated Community Guidelines you're not permitted to express an opinion contrary to Bob's.

0 Cheers