Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck depreciation on two Schedule C

bill6
Level 3

I am using ProSeries Basic and I am trying to depreciate the same vehicle on two separate businesses. Quick background: A client had one business that he bought a truck for and closed that business in June 2021. He turned around and used that truck in an unrelated business in July.  I understand that I should use the remaining basis the truck had in the old business as the new basis in the new business. It looks like the only way I can prevent the software from using full year of depreciation on the old business is by entering a disposal date of 7/1/2021 when it began being used on the new business. Are there any potential pitfalls to this solution?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

You've got 2 businesses, each with a short year. Does the software have input for short year calculations?

Ex-AllStar
bill6
Level 3

As far as I can tell there is no way to shorten the business year on the software I am using (Proseries Basic). 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The way I read it, it seems questionable if this vehicle was really taken out of service by the taxpayer.  It seems to have just switched Schedule Cs. 

*IF* that is the case, I would (1) leave the truck on the first Schedule C, (2) manually override the depreciation amount on that Schedule C to reflect a partial year, (3) manually override the depreciation on the second Schedule C to reflect the other partial year, and (4) make notes to switch the vehicle to the second Schedule C for next year (using the original "placed in service" date).