Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treaty Article 17(2) Savings Clause Lump Sum Foreign Pension Distributions

Nat Hussey
Level 3

U.S. Citizen/UK resident cashed in UK pensions and paid tax in UK. The combined amount of regular income and distributions kick him over the Form 2555 limit. The IRS interpretation of the saving clause and Article 17(2) of the treaty is that US can tax such lump sum distributions. (Letter Ruling 08-0024). Two questions:

1. Am I reading the ruling correctly?

2. Where do we report the distributions/ how to claim an offset for tax paid in UK on those distributions. 

Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is UK pension income earned income for the foreign earned income exclusion?

Use Form 1116 to claim a foreign tax credit on income that was taxed by both the UK and US.

The UK pension gets reported as pension income. There are fields to indicate it is from a foreign payor.

EDIT: There are fields in Lacerte to indicate it is from a foreign payor. Not sure about ProSeries.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive never had anyone with foreign income like this, but heres where you enter it in ProSeries.

foreignincome.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Nat Hussey
Level 3

Thanks so much for that. What is the entry point for pension income? I have 1099-R, and other income under Sched 1 and just entering it in 2555. I didn't see anything for pension with a foreign payor option. Thank you again!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

See Lisa's answer. She uses ProSeries and I don't.

Ex-AllStar
Nat Hussey
Level 3

Thank you!

0 Cheers