Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching NC Non-Resident Return to VA Resident Return

HillBilly
Level 3

Attached Non-Resident NC Return PDF to VA Resident Return.  Efiled both State Returns & Federal Return.  All were accepted.  Client just received letter from VA stating they had received the VA return, yet did not receive the NC-NR.

EF Center shows the correct attachment.  VA Information Worksheet shows the correct attchment under Electronic PDF Attachments.  I now have error in VA return (after e-filing submission & acceptance) showing the NC-NR needs to be attached.

I will resolve this by mailing the NC-NR to the state of VA.

For the future, has anyone else encountered this isssue or have insight/resolution?

Hope all are having a LARGE DAY!  😎

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HillBilly
Level 3

Thanks Much!

It is my belief also that it's on the VA side.  I have a number of clients (several years) that are VA residents & have to also file NC-NR creating the PDF attachment requirement.  This is the first time however that I have encountered this issue.  Things do change year to year in every state.

Continue have a LARGE DAY!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
PATAX
Level 15

@HillBilly 👍 a colleague who uses a different software has also had this issue... wondering if some even look at the PDF files or maybe they can't access it... Who knows... but obviously in your case it was attached and now you still have to mail it in...

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ahhh, the wonders of technology, when it works, its great, when it doesnt....well, here we are!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
HillBilly
Level 3

Thanks much!  Well at least I'm not the only one, so I'm not so special

sjrcpa
Level 15

It may just be Virginia. They are very bad at allowing credit for tax paid to other states.

At least your client got a notice. Sometimes I don't find out that the credit was not allowed until a year later.

I think VA doesn't look at the attachments. Sometimes I have had to send them 2 or 3times.

Ex-AllStar
HillBilly
Level 3

Thanks Much!

It is my belief also that it's on the VA side.  I have a number of clients (several years) that are VA residents & have to also file NC-NR creating the PDF attachment requirement.  This is the first time however that I have encountered this issue.  Things do change year to year in every state.

Continue have a LARGE DAY!