Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transgender dependent.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Taxpayer/Spouse have a trans-gendered dependent who legally changed their name and I am changing daughter to son. Any thoughts or potential issues changing relationship status?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No, IRS only cross matches Last name SSN and year of birth.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Thanks, Lis! I have not dealt with that one before so, I was a little unsure. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

🙂

RandyAZ
Level 3

Lisa, I'm a gay accountant in AZ and certainly am dealing with gay issues, you say that IRS checks with SSA on last name and SSN only for matches.  What about first names, a Sue to a Bill, no problems?  Does the transgender individual need a new SSA card?    Thanks all for the discussion !!  

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@RandyAZ wrote:

Lisa, I'm a gay accountant in AZ and certainly am dealing with gay issues, you say that IRS checks with SSA on last name and SSN only for matches.  What about first names, a Sue to a Bill, no problems?  Does the transgender individual need a new SSA card?    Thanks all for the discussion !!  

My clients child did get a new card but the SSN is the same. That was my concern re: name and relationship. Would that throw the IRS off? I am unsure how hard they look at that.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

First names aren't cross matched.  First 4 letters of the last name need to match the SSN and I "think" the year of birth does as well, although Ive never had one reject for year of birth, so I cant say for sure.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

DOB has to match SS#. Whatever name is on the Social Security card is how you file it. Similar to spouses, married at the end of the year but haven't changed their name at Social Security, have to file with the Maiden name on a joint return.