Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird - Proseries 2022 - does NOT work - purchase Outlook

deathandtaxes
Level 2

After 2 days of wasted time, including 3 hours with support (who went up 3 levels of people I was not allowed to talk to directly), and support finally saying it must be a problem with my PC (tried this on multiple pc's in the office)....this is what I have found.  Hopefully it saves someone else serious wasted time/$.

Short version - Thunderbird will not work with 2022 even though they say it will.  Purchase and install the desktop version of Outlook ( you have to buy the subscription for the year for the entire office suite).  The outlook app that comes free with windows will not work either.  Personally I installed this as 32 bit (I had an old excel that would have had to been uninstalled so I figured I would go 32 for now)

Long version - 

I am trying to email checklists to clients.  We modify the checklist text and email to cover a yearly greeting/thank you and an engagement letter along with the checklist.  We do this as we find the check list useful (no one wants an organizer), and we don't want to use the mail for either the checklist, the yearly greeting, and/or engagement letter.  Anyway, the behavior is the same no matter what email task you are trying to accomplish via proseries.  This is just where it is an issue for me.

2021 and earlier proseries could email fine with Thunderbird.  During this process I learned it was an old version of thunderbird, so 32 bit.  No issues for many years all the way through 2021.

2022 proseries, this will no longer work, even though I tested 2021 side by side and that works.  Uninstall thunderbird and install 64 bit.  This breaks 2021 and does not fix 2022.  Yes I tried checking the 64 bit email setting, restarting proseries, restarting my machine.  We reinstalled proseries itself, etc.

I reinstalled 32 bit thunderbird and 2021 works again.  So if you wish to use thunderbird in 2021 and earlier, download and install the 32 bit otherwise, no luck.

As stated in the short version above, I finally spent more $$$ today (thanks intuit) and purchased and installed Office 365 with outlook as full desktop applications.  I did this at 32 bit.  I had to setup my work email (gmail organization) so there were a few hurdles there.  But once that was working I set outlook as my default email in windows, started proseries and both 2021 and 2022 work for sending emails now.

I am sure I forgot something, but hopefully that helps someone else, who can't afford to waste more time.  

15 Comments 15
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Isnt Outlook included for free with Windows?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

Isnt Outlook included for free with Windows?

No, although a "Mail" program is included with Windows, Outlook is a separately paid program (although your computer manufacturer possibly included it with the computer).

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Weird, Ive got Outlook as the Default Mail program in Win 11,. but I dont remember installing it.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Interesting.  So you don't pay for Office 365?

Maybe it came pre-installed with your computer (the computer manufacturer installed it).

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No, I dont see Office 365 installed either.  Looks like it came with Win 11, it used to be WinMail until I upgraded to 11.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Interesting.  I Googled it and it looks like you are right, an Outlook app comes with Windows 11 (but it may be a limited version of Outlook).

https://pureinfotech.com/windows-11-new-outlook-app-personal-accounts/

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/new-outlook-now-works-with-personal-microsoft-accounts

deathandtaxes
Level 2

Correct.  I believe the Outlook app also comes with Windows 10 as I had/have that.  That did not work.

I needed the full desktop install.  

Looks like MargieC

had the same issue and solution.

Not sure why the suggest using Thunderbird.  They should remove.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/is-anyone-else-having-t...

Ginger59
Level 1

How did you get the gmail to show as sender (through outlook)?

0 Cheers
deathandtaxes
Level 2

I signed into Outlook with my Gmail account (organization/business Gmail), not with an outlook account.  All of my email settings in proseries (firm info, etc) are set to that same email address.  

0 Cheers
Ginger59
Level 1

ugh...haven't been able to figure out how to do that even though I had added that as another email...

0 Cheers
deathandtaxes
Level 2

bummer. Hmmm

So you have the gmail address in proseries under firm info and preparer, etc?

Here are the steps from windows for setting up gmail in Outlook 365 and looks like the steps I did
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-up-gmail-accounts-46274497-95ea-4a7d-9651-d246aa63eb5...

Maybe delete any other accounts in outlook so there is only the gmail one?

0 Cheers
Ginger59
Level 1

I opened the outlook up (and tested it as sender for other emails) but the checklist from proseries still shows the 'wrong' sender...

0 Cheers
deathandtaxes
Level 2

Did you confirm your preparer and firm info in proseries?
Make sure both are the desired email address?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/business-address/change-firm-preparer-infor...

0 Cheers
Ginger59
Level 1

I don't think I can delete my msn email...as it is how microsoft has me sign on...

0 Cheers
IntuitAngela_13
Employee
Employee

@deathandtaxes 

I'm sorry to hear that you had a less than unfavorable experience with support.

This was, in fact, found to be an issue with the TY22 program and will be resolved in this week's program update.

Please note that ProSeries will still only integrate with the desktop version of Thunderbird and not the online version.

- Angela

0 Cheers