Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those Difficult Minnesota Choices

BobKamman
Level 15

I’m working on this Minnesota nonresident return for my client who inherited a farm there. The “State Elections Campaign Fund” checkoff on the first page has way too many choices. Incidentally, I’m not sure it creates the best impression to let taxpayers express their political preferences on their tax return. Minnesota auditors are fair and impartial, just like Minnesota police, but they should be more concerned about appearances.

Among the eight choices are “Grassroots/Legalize Cannabis” and “Legal Marijuana Now.” Now, that’s a difficult choice, especially for a nonresident who doesn't follow local politics. Can it be split between the two? (“To grant $5 to this fund, enter the code for the party of your choice. It will help candidates for state offices pay campaign expenses. This will not increase your tax or reduce your refund.”)

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here