Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forms 5329T 5329S

Lathanna
Level 1

Help Why is my client being charge an excess contribution tax if the only contributed the maximum allowable in a IRA, for their ages?

i called proseries and the rep told me it was a glitch in the program  is anybody else experiencing this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Follow the money down the IRA contribution worksheet to you can understand why its an excess. 

There are other factors besides age when determining if an IRA contribution is allowed or in excess.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

My first thought:  Lack of earned income.

0 Cheers
Lathanna
Level 1

Hi, thank you for your input.  I thought that it was from lack of earning also but there are earnings.  Although the taxable income is lower

0 Cheers
Lathanna
Level 1

Thank you for your input  There were earnings.  I just spoke with a rep from intuit and there was a showing of excess contribution from 2019 of 7k which we changed to 0 and that corrected the problem.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

If there was an excess contribution in 2019 was there a corrective distribution?  If not, it counts as a 2020 contribution and the taxpayer continues to pay the penalty each year until it's fixed.  I would not arbitrarily change a carried over number without at least seeing a 1099-R showing the corrective distribution (+ earnings).

Lathanna
Level 1

Thank you, there was no excess contribution in 2019

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
the number carried from somewhere, I think this warrants more investigation.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪