Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitgerald

rcooley25
Level 11

I was greatly sadden as I imagine many of you were with the recent death of Gordon Lightfoot who wrote and recorded the song mentioned above.

It is my understanding that upon his death at the Maritime Sailor's Cathedral in Detroit they had a very  special service where they rang the bell 30 times.

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

He had a lot of songs released over the years, but that will always be my favorite.  

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

You're referring to the final lyric of the song,

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayedIn the maritime sailors' cathedralThe church bell chimed 'til it rang twenty-nine timesFor each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald

Canada has certainly sent the world some wonderful singers.  Along with Gordon LIghtfoot there are (my favorite) Leonard Cohen, Celine Dion, Drake, Neil Young, Shania Twain, Michael Bublé and Avril Lavigne.  Almost enough to forgive them for Justin Bieber.  

BobKamman
Level 15

And how could I forget Joni Mitchell, who wrote "Both Sides Now" when she was 23 and performed it last year at the Newport Folk Festival at age 78.  The two best female vocalists of my lifetime are Joan Baez and Judy Collins, but she is a close third.

IRonMaN
Level 15

How can you list out best female vocalists and not include Linda Ronstadt in that list? 

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

That is exactly what I am refering to. They added 1 to make it thirty in honor of Gordon Lightfoot.

BobKamman
Level 15

Everyone from Tucson has a great voice.  My brother sang in the Tucson Boys Chorus with Linda's brother (later, Tucson chief of police).  The family hardware store was the go-to place before Home Depot.  But her initial hit was something of a one-trick Stone Poney.  I'll give her a Career Achievement Award, but not for best vocal cords.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe folks hear things differently in Arizona than they do in Minnesota.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Eva Cassidy. Chuck in heaven would agree with me.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

But Chuck was also a Linda Ronstadt fan.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers