Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas filing and payment deadlines

Jeff Davidson
Level 2

The IRS has extended the deadlines to both file and pay taxes for all business and personal returns until June 15, 2021. However, ProSeries will not allow me to schedule a client payment for taxes due past April 15. Is anything in the works to allow my clients to schedule their payments until June 15? Or is there a way to work around this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
dascpa
Level 11

Wait for a software update.  Could be a few weeks.

Mark Brockman
Level 1

It has been four weeks since the original message was posted.  I want to provide an update that nothing has changed in the past four weeks.  And it is all because the IRS has not updated their e-file system.

I tried to e-file an individual income tax return on 4/14/2021, for a client who lives in Texas.  (I live in Houston.  Most of my tax clients live in Texas.)  I requested the balance due to be paid on 6/15/2021.  The IRS rejected the e-filed return because the payment date was after 5/17/2021.

I think this is an IRS e-file problem, not a tax software problem.  IRS e-file is not set up to handle any returns with a payment date after 5/17/2021.

I am not happy with the IRS.  The work around is to have the client pay the IRS directly (online or by mailing a check), and e-file the tax return without scheduling the payment. Or ask the client if they are willing to pay the tax on 5/17/2021 (instead of 6/15/2021).

I don't recommend mailing a check to the IRS.  Don't get me started on the USPS and how reliable they are since the pandemic started a year ago.

So don't assume this problem will get corrected, by the IRS or by Intuit.  I think the status quo will remain.  Someone at the IRS needs to wake up and fix the problem NOW!

0 Cheers