Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tennessee FAE 170 Error

cbarnes
Level 3

Is there a easy way to send a known error to Intuit Proseries to request an update/change to the software?  On an individual 1040 return for someone who has a Single-Member LLC in Tennessee, this creates a Tennessee FAE 170 filing requirement which ProSeries easily accomodates for.  However, for e-filing, there remains an error if the EIN is left blank on the TN return.  Many Single-Member LLCs do not have an EIN and the instructions for FAE 170 clearly states: "Enter the FEIN and/or Tennessee Secretary of State Control Number".  The error will not go away if I enter the control number; the software insists on getting the EIN in order to e-file.  Tennessee requires e-filing and I'm unable to e-file if the single-member LLC does not have an EIN.  Can someone with Intuit address this issue or let me know how I can alert them of this issue?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Well, I do a ton of single-member LLCs here in Tennessee...been in practice for many moons, and i have yet to have a single-member LLC WITHOUT a FEIN.   Been a ProSeries Professional user for long before LLCs were even created. I don't know where you get your 'many users' from, but obviously not in my part of West Tennessee. 

One solution, the obvious one, is that in the time you took to type this question, you could have applied for a FEIN, printed out the CP-575 A for your records, and filed the return.

I've been trying for 3 years to get them to fix the 'automatically requiring F & E estimates' (no matter if the tax liability is $100 or any amount under the $5,000 threshold where estimates are required).

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
cbarnes
Level 3

Thank you for your response.  Yes, I've had many clients over the years that formed SMLLCs without obtaining an EIN (and just operated under their SSN) as it is not required unless they have employees or meet other requirements.  As you've stated, I've indicated that they should just obtain an EIN so I could e-file.  For this particular client, they specifically do not want to obtain an EIN.  As I indicated, the instructions for the TN F&E allow for the filing with the SOS number instead of the EIN.  Do you know if there is a way I can alert ProSeries of this error in their system?  I'd prefer to use ProSeries and not have to resort to TNTAP or paper-filing.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I believe you have to add four zeros in front of the SOS control number.

0 Cheers
cbarnes
Level 3

Even with the SOS line properly completed (with leading zeros), the error still persists in the field for the EIN.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@IntuitGabi   What about this Gabi?  Sounds like a valid point based on the instructions in the program.  maybe the instructions would be applicable if using the State filing program and not proseries?  

Of course I'm gonna be furious if you quickly fix this and my F&E estimates problem lingers on!😂

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.