Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard mileage and depreciation

JONI9611
Level 3

My client is truck driver. He bought his truck in 2014 for $140000.  I have to do his returns from 2014 to 2019. Can I use standard mileage for first couple years and then use actual expenses and depreciate the 140000 for later years?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15
8 Comments 8
dkh
Level 15
IRonMaN
Level 15

No - for $140,000 I assume you are talking a "truck" truck vs a pickup truck.  You need to use actual expenses for those thingies.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No.

I suspect you mean a semi-truck, which does not qualify for the Standard Mileage Rate at all.  And I suspect the cost of fuel would exceed that anyways, so it wouldn't be the best option.

Even if the vehicle did qualify, the election to use the Standard Mileage Rate in the first year must be on a timely filed tax return.  So late-filed tax returns can NOT make that election if it is the first year, and they would be required to use Actual Expenses.

JONI9611
Level 3

Thank you.

Even if the vehicle did qualify, the election to use the Standard Mileage Rate in the first year must be on a timely filed tax return

Do you know why this is required?  The first year sometimes can be a time when actual deductions are highest, primarily from the cost depreciation.

@TaxGuyBill 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Strongsilence-CPA wrote:

Even if the vehicle did qualify, the election to use the Standard Mileage Rate in the first year must be on a timely filed tax return

Do you know why this is required?  The first year sometimes can be a time when actual deductions are highest, primarily from the cost depreciation.

@TaxGuyBill 

Because the Regulation says so?  😂

Choosing the Standard Mileage Rate is an election, and there are many elections that required to be on an original, timely filed return.  I don't question the "why" of things.

I might have made an error when I elected actual. In the first year, the TP bought a truck and received a large depreciation deduction but after that first year the mileage deductions are much more beneficial.  Not sure what I can do.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If it was on a 2022 return you may still be able to fix it, but if it was on 2021 or earlier, I don't think you can do anything now.  It sounds like they are stuck with using Actual Expenses until they start using a different vehicle.