Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Tax Service Soliciations

dascpa
Level 11

For the past few weeks I'm getting posts similar to below every day, sometimes multiple times a day.  Be careful, seems legit.  But all have one theme - they're willing to email their tax returns.

"I obtained your contact information from one of your online postings I am a principal of an elementary school I am in need of your services for my 2021Tax return  and I can send you a copy of my 2020 tax return to go over it, in PDF let me know how much it will cost me Thanks Regards"

or

Hello, thank you for taking the time to respond, I have attached my prelim tax docs as requested, Kindly let me know if you need anything else.  Please let me know if you have any more questions after reviewing them.  Looking forward to working with you.

13 Comments 13
qbteachmt
Level 15

"they're willing to email their tax returns."

Well, they are willing to send someone's return, apparently. It doesn't mean you get theirs, specifically.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
JRC
Level 8

IGNORE!!!!

I never ever use emails for potential customers and Ignore/delete/block these types of Emails. I do not advertise my Email address for this reason.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I received some of those earlier this year.  I told them I wasn't accepting new clients but told them I knew someone that couldn't say no to a new client so I gave them your name.  I hope you don't mind.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I got that same email.  After looking at it closer the return email address started with "noreply" At first glance it seemed like it may be legit but reading it again and knowing the scams and then seeing the return email address I knew it was a scam. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Am I the only one that doesnt even open Email from someone that I dont recognize?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I'm waiting for my inheritance of $11 million from a life insurance.   Some estate attorney found out my name is the same as a deceased beneficiary who had no heirs.  The only drag is that the $11 million is in Canadian dollars.  Also the attorney went by 11$ million.  Once I get the inheritance I can afford to retire an no longer have to open emails from strangers.    

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
BobKamman
Level 15

I received two emails this morning, not in my spam folder, with the subject heading “From: Intuit E-Commerce Service <[email address removed] >” and this content (I did not download the attachment) -

Gëek Sqûad

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your Subscription!

Here is renewal confirmation of Your Invoice No : #GK~316494.

We have successfully renewed your service.

Review your receipt and get started using your product.

For any assistance call us on +1 802 209 9698

Product ---------------- Quantity ---- Term ---------- Price
360 PC Protection -------- 1 ------ 3 Years ---- 339.99 USD

InvoiceNo: #GK~316494
Date: 05/13/2022
Total: 339.99 USD

The amount has been already charged and will show up within 24 hours in your bank statement. If you wish to cancel your subscription and claim for your refund then call us on +1 802 209 9698 make sure your computer is on when you call.

Sincerely,
Gëek Sqûad

+1 802 209 xxxx

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

Am I the only one that doesnt even open Email from someone that I dont recognize?

You are missing out Lisa!  I had the prince of Nigeria email me, and he is so appreciative of the $2500 I sent him to help him out, he'll be sending me $1,456,789.   How can you pass that up?

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Not 1,456,789$?  Perhaps yours ain't legit.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
qbteachmt
Level 15

I got one of those messages that my subscription had been renewed and to contact them if that was not supposed to happen, and it purported to be from Intuit. But they misunderstood that "Intuit" is not "Lntuit" when the lowercase L was assumed, and they capitalized it, instead of knowing it was an i. Otherwise, sure, the logo looked fine.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

You hit the nail on the head Lisa. Same here. Why would someone email a tax return to a tax preparer that they do not know?

rcherenson
Level 4

Make sure your computer is on when you call"!!!

I've gotten several of these type of immediate delete emails, but never one that is already telling you they plan to hack into your computer so blatantly! 😂

Taxprohere
Level 7

I've gotten quite a few, all similarly written, all need lessons in grammar, to the point of being humorous!

I need your service to file my 2021 return extension, I have W2 and Sch C with other incomes
Let me know your pricing, I can send you a copy of my 2020 tax return to go over it
Cheers

(this one sent by the Managing Director himself...my goodness!  Oh, ...the Managing Director forget to add his company name, address, phone number.  Not much good in managing I guess.)

and

I actually intend to change cpa for my 2021 tax return, Would
like to know if your firm is open to accept new clients. All my
documents are completed (what do you mean, how are they completed?)

Kindly advise on how to proceed and if I can send all the
available documents and whats are your fees.  (Say again?... what is are your fees?)

These are soft inquiries, if you respond, likely the hackers law abiding taxpayers will send you a link to download some malicious code their tax documents as these scum of the earth future clients genuinely need your help.