Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

South Carolina Efile question

plrraz
Level 3

I saw this same question was asked in 2021, but I did not see any replies, so I will ask it again. I have a client (well, actually one of my kids, his wife and our granddaughter, lol) who moved to South Carolina from California in 2022. 

South Carolina, gives you the option of filing either a part-year/nonresident return or a resident return.  It was more beneficial for them to file the resident return (yes, I checked and all of the SC income (actually they worked in NC, so I am filing a NC return as well) is allocated correctly both ways (nonres/PY return or Resident return), and none of the CA income is flowing to the SC return; however, I am getting an error, with PS Basic taking me to the Efiling information page for SC, but it does not show any errors.

I feel like this is a software glitch, and again, I saw this question asked in 2021 when I searched the forum to see if this had been a problem for anyone else. 

The only solution I can think of is to uncheck the errors box when eifling the return and hope its not rejected. Anyone have a better solution?

When I check to option to file a py/nonres return, there are no diagnostic errors, but again it is better (by about 60 dollars, lol) to file a resident return, which again, is allowable (unless I misread the instructions from the SC website).

Thanks in advance.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
shf1957
Level 7

If I were in your place I would just Efile the federal return.  Then mail an original return to each state attaching  a copy of the federal return and Form#8948 explaining why you must do a mail in.  Might take a couple of weeks later for the refund but your situation will be solved.

0 Cheers