Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTIN refund coming?

PATAX
Level 15

Looks like U.S. district court has ordered the IRS to issue applicable partial refunds of past ptin fees. Will we also get a 1099 for this? Wouldn't be surprised. Just don't spend all that money in one place.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11
6 Comments 6
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

IRS issuing refunds for PTIN fees?  What's next?  Intuit issuing refunds for fast path fees?

Ok, you can always dream 😴

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Love this part:

"the court left open the possibility that the IRS could get that money back in another forum, noting that it "expresses no opinion as to whether the IRS may claw back the forgone PTIN and vendor fees through some other means, such as an administrative process setting fees retroactively for return preparers who registered or renewed their PTINs during the relevant period, or a civil action of its own for restitution""

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Good lord, they need to raise it, to weed out some of the riff raff!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

No **bleep**, Lisa.

I just had a conversation with a "preparer", but as he uses PS I'm afraid to make comments here for fear he 'might' be a member of this forum.   Sure wish I could still access the lounge as it's was truly frightening that this individual is getting paid.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxes96786
Level 9

Well, I'm not holding my breath. The Court left an opening for the IRS to create another fee that will, likely, allow them to keep what they have charged rather than returning part of it.

I don't think this qualifies for a 1099, if we get the money, because it is a refund, not income.

As for Intuit Fast Path...it should be a fee charged per efiled return, rather than charging a set fee for all of us. I file far less returns, as a sole-proprietor, that large firms.