Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So as some of you know, Minnesota residents got a rebate in 2023

IRonMaN
Level 15

So the majority of my clients to date have received a rebate from the State of Minnesota in 2023.  Minnesota created a nice little 1099 to mail out to everybody that received a payment since it is taxable for 1040 purposes.  So I just opened up a package with tax information that a client had mailed to me.  She has the 1099 included - which surprisingly, so far about 99.8% of my clients provided if they received the check.  But this client must feel I am getting too close to retirement so she had to take out her yellow highlighter to highlight the amount of the payment ---------- just in case they were the only folks to get the payment and maybe I haven't seen one of these yet.  Plus as a bonus, they also highlighted the notes on the form that tell you to subtract the payment on Minnesota - line 33 of M1M to be exact.  I have broken out in a cold sweat since without her help, I would have never known that the amount was tax free in Minnesota.  Do I go back and amend the 200 returns that I have already prepared since I must have not backed if off since I didn't see her note until now.  Thank God we have clients that are able to help us keep up with the tax laws so we have a chance of getting these returns done almost correctly.

Slava Ukraini!
8 Comments 8
PATAX
Level 15

They could have highlighted it Iron Man so they could see it better. That's what I do. Hopefully you get this message since it looks like I can't respond to messages on my pathetic mail service post. It says access denied, Whatever that is. And it looks like there are messages that weren't posted to it even though I got the email about those messages. Oh well

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I have a client puts sticky notes on every document.. All W-2s have a sticky note that say W-2 on it.. All interest 1099s have a sticky note that say INTEREST INCOME.  etc.. first thing i do is tear off all the stick notes barely giving them a glance. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Oh, this one needed to guide me through.  Besides highlighting everything, we did add the sticky notes too --------- just to be safe that I knew what I was looking at.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Is it narcissism when someone thinks highlighting is done only for them and not for the person who may want to look at the document again in a year or two and wonder what it means?  No, I don't think that's narcissism.  But as always I agree with @PATAX that there is a plausible explanation for this that does not involve helping another person who might look at the document and then, presumably, return it.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

You don't know the client.  The information will never be popped open again - I guarantee it.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

I'm happy enough if I can get them to open the mail.  If they want to highlight things, circle numbers, draw flowers, etc. I don't mind.

I had one a couple days ago who was smart enough to log in to all of her accounts and print out the 1099s.  She put them in the folder with her unopened mail.  Not only did I have to open all of the "Important tax documents" (fold here, tear here, slide finger here, etc.), I had to compare them to the print outs to see what was a duplicate.  There was at least one mailed document that was not printed, and at least one printed document that did not come in the mail.  So a worthwhile endeavor I suppose, but one she could have done in the comfort of her own home before leaving the house.

Another one last week decided he would wait to look at the organizer until we had our appointment.  So I'm waiting as he reads each question aloud and makes a joke about the answer.  At least it was entertaining, and I bill by the hour, but probably not the best use of his or my time.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Do I go back and amend the 200 returns that I have already prepared

I've been half-expecting that Minnesota politicians would pressure the IRS into a ruling to change the IRS stance and make it non-taxable for Federal, so we would need to amend all Federal returns.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I worked on one yesterday.  Multiple copies of consolidated 1099s including original and amended forms ———along with some 2022 consolidated 1099s just for good measure.  

Slava Ukraini!