Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single member LLC owned by S corp

Avs19
Level 5

Hi,

I have a client that started up a single member LLC last year that is owned solely by his S corp. All income and expenses flowed through the SMLLC. I'm assuming we just run these figures through the S corp being that the SMLLC is a disregarded entity. Does anyone know if there's a spefic form or way to notate this to the IRS on the 1120S?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

I always attach an additional statement explaining the SMLLC owned by the entity, reporting also their name and EIN.  No clue if it's ever read but never had a problem doing it this way.

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
dkh
Level 15

This doesn't make sense.   Are you sure he didn't file an S Corp election for the SMLLC ?     Or is the SMLLC a shareholder of the SCorp?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No form.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

@dkh 

It makes perfect sense.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

@sjrcpa  Help me understand.    Why form an SMLLC to be owned by an SCorp ?  

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

Are you sure he didn't file an S Corp election for the SMLLC ? Yep, that's not the case.

Or is the SMLLC a shareholder of the SCorp? Scorp is the only SMLLC member

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

Same question I asked my client. Got a vague answer. 2022 will be the last year for both entities.

Avs19
Level 5

So just report the SMLLC's income expenses on the Scorps 1120S? No need anything to notate to the IRS.

dascpa
Level 11

I always attach an additional statement explaining the SMLLC owned by the entity, reporting also their name and EIN.  No clue if it's ever read but never had a problem doing it this way.

Avs19
Level 5

Great, thanks for all of your help!

sjrcpa
Level 15

@dkh Why? You'd have to ask the client. Perhaps a separate line of business.

When i said it makes perfect sense, I meant OP's treatment.

Ex-AllStar
Avs19
Level 5

The idea was to have different operations under one parent company. The line of business is the same. Not sure what you mean by OP's treatment?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

OP = Original Poster (or Post) = you.

I meant that your treatment makes sense.

Apparently I am not making sense today.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

That makes sense

Thanks!