Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rental Sch E will not take loss on 1040

shf1957
Level 7

Have a client with a new schedule E for an airbnb.  Purchased in November and Had first income last 2 days of December ( for New Years stay but paid and arrived on Dec 30th)    

So between the depreciation of new furnishings, cost of utilities, repairs etc... the outcome is a loss. BUT the program states zero allowed.   Can you tell me why or what to do?  Am I not checking something that should be checked or marked?

I thank you in advance for you all of the community helpers!

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is their income too high to be able to take the loss?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
shf1957
Level 7

Their income is 144,250.    Just wondering if it's the section below meaning that QBI ?   Wife purchased this home, they had new roof put on ( deprec)  and new furnishings ( deprec)    Purchased in November and  mid December had it open /adv for rentals.. First rental was for the new years weekend and they paid 12/30 and stayed 30th, 31st and 1st.   (so income came in for 2022)    Please help.

0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

Also we are not doing any sec 179   Also taking very little for depreciation.  

0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

forgot to check the box that she actively participated.  ( that made a loss   not as much as it really is though)

0 Cheers
craig
Level 2

First you need to decide if the AirBnB qualifies for Sch C.

Schedule E the issue could be AGI limitations or was the correct box chosen for the type of activity

shf1957
Level 7

Airbnb is a separate home in a different town.   Party is an individual that has a main full-time job in a different type of business (medical field).  This was purchased to just rent out as an airbnb for weekend or weekly rentals.  Could you please fill me in if this isn't something they to gainfully provide as a living...as some corporations and business's do how I would consider it as a Schedule C business?   Please don't take that wrong, I am just trying to educate myself  since alot of clients are now doing this. (Hopeing it pays for all expenses so someday they will be mortgage free on that property and retire there)

0 Cheers