Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shareholder buyout - where to report interest on buyout loan

montague
Level 2

abctax55 - I reviewed a prior post you had commented on and I am requesting further information.

RE:  S-Corp Shareholder buyout  by employees (new shareholders)

Interest on the loan to buyout original shareholder, where is it reported? K-1 as UPE?

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

UPE means Unreimbursed PARTNERSHIP Expenses.  So no, a shareholder in a corporation does not have UPE.

Look at the Instructions for line 28 of Schedule E.

montague
Level 2

TaxGuyBill, I don't disagree with you.  I've been researching this and I've been told by (2) CPAs that the interest is deductible to the new shareholder.  I also found the thread below.  What no one can explain is where does the interest go on the individual's tax return.  Thoughts?

abctax55 Level 15

‎12-04-2020 02:36 PM
IF the stock purchase meets the requirements as discussed here, and in IRS Notice 88-37, the interest does go to Sch E page 2:

In Lacerte, it's entered as an "un-reimbursed" expense, and generates a diagnostic that 'generally' an S-Corp shareholder doesn't get to deduct un-reimbursed expenses anywhere other than Sch A.

Interest on acquisition is handled a bit differently.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If you are asking if/where/how it goes on the 1040, my previous response to you told you the answer.

If you are asking how to enter things in Lacerte, then it looks like you may have already found the answer.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

1) create a second K-1

Or

2) Use line 13 input, or the 'separately reported stuff' on the main K-1

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dkh
Level 15

On the K1 Select the Quickzoom to enter health insurance premiums paid..... that takes you to a section titled Outside Expenses which has a line for Interest paid for acquisition of SCorp shares

abctax55
Level 15

Ah....  a specific PS answer.   I saw the Lacerte reference instead.

That's a nice feature PS has.

( Generic Comment )"
montague
Level 2

@dkh THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

montague
Level 2

@abctax55 Thank you so much, you're always so amazing!

abctax55
Level 15

😇

YVW

( Generic Comment )"
dkh
Level 15

@montague  You're welcome. Glad I could help.