Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send Me Your Friggin 8879 and Thank You ProSeries

dascpa
Level 11

Every year there's one or two that it's impossible to get their forms from.  If I terminate them two new clients do the same next year.  No matter how many times I beg, plead, kick or throw temper tantrums.  

Yes, there are numerous things that bug me (1116B), and forms I wish P.S. had, and e-file of things I wish they offered, but I must say this was one of the best year's for the program working right and things going smoothly.  Nice job and thank you ProSeries.

29 Comments 29
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

“If you don’t return your 8879s by ….  I will file an extension to avoid late filing penalties. There will be an additional $50 fee…….

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
dkh
Level 15

Yep, love the client that calls to say they haven't received their refunds yet 

No you haven't because you haven't returned your 8879s.     

dascpa
Level 11

Two clients in past few days who got the dreaded identity verification letter from the IRS.  One, no problem.  Other, elderly with a flip phone and no camera.  Told me she lost it at the required facial recognition.  Said her refund was only $87 and said "f" it.  Never heard this G-d-fearing lady say anything bad about anyone or anything, but she sure had colorful words for the IRS.

dkh
Level 15

I HATE the identity verification process.  There should be alternate options for people like your elderly client so they don't get pushed to the point of swearing.... which by the way made me laugh thinking of a little old lady throwing an F bomb

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

She may have problems next year getting her refund if she didnt get her ID verified this year. 

If shes got a local office she may want to try and get verified in person to avoid issues moving forward.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

They gave away tens of billions of dollars in fraudulent PPP money but they're worried about an old lady's $87 refund.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I’ve modified the client letter to say something to the effect that if you don’t return it promptly you could be subject to late filing penalties.  The wording is in bold, italics, and underlined.  Next year I am going to change it for a few clients to say they are stupid and do not possess the ability to read simple instructions.  I am confident that those folks will never see it.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Clients never read the important things....yet I have clients that manage to read the watermark on the Indiana IT8879  "Do not mail this form to DOR"   then call me to question why I want them to mail the form back to me when it says not to mail..............smh

taxes96786
Level 9

Do your clients know that their return cannot and will not be filed until the form is signed and returned and your fee is paid.

dkh
Level 15

@taxes96786    good thing you spelled that out for us because none of us knew that or had thought to explain it to our clients.........sheesh

IRonMaN
Level 15

I guess I am breaking some law that I didn't know about.  Unfortunately, I am guilty of transmitting returns before I have been paid.  Is that a long prison sentence or do I have the possibility of parole?

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

I've heard about people like you.  Never thought I would actually encounter one.

IRonMaN
Level 15

**bleep** the tutorials but I kept falling asleep since they were so boring.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

This place is really screwed up my post was -

B u t , b u t , but ............. 

I didn't know.  I guess I should have read pub 17 more closely.

I  t r i e d   w a t c h i n g the tutorials

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Do your clients know that their return cannot and will not be filed until the form is signed and returned and your fee is paid.

D.a.m.n.      WHY didn't I know that 25 + years ago when I started efiling ????   Guess I'm in deep 💩💩/S

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
JRC
Level 8

I have a rubber stamp which I stamp on the top of the Form 8879.

"Please Sign & Return"

Each form is attached with my invoice and Self Addressed envelope for each completed return.

It works "Mostly"... haha

I just received my 3rd to the last form 8879 today the 20th of April! Still waiting on 2-more. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I just got a call from a client because he hasn't received any of his refunds yet.  Um, did you read the bold, italicized, underline print in the cover letter that was sent to you that I need the 8879 back?

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

But was it printed in red or highlighted in yellow?

With one week left I email all clients who have not returned their forms.  I repeat the exercise two days prior.

I agree with others, even though my paperwork says e-filing and payment do not have to be at the same time, many clients still think they cannot make payment until the return is e-filed and with a balance due, that extra day or two will earned them another $0.05 in interest.

JRC
Level 8

I screwed up and it was ordered in Black!... So now for those that are slow to respond I have to use a Yellow highlighter..

JRC
Level 8

Who reads the cover letters?  No one does. LOL

taxes96786
Level 9

@dkh  this post was meant for newbies who may not be doing what I suggested. I see you have joined IronMan's club.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@dkh  - your membership card is going out in the mail today.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

@taxes96786    no one in this post is a newbie   Seemed a bit condescending.   

Maybe next time start the comment with   Hey, if your new to preparing taxes, Do your clients know that their return cannot....... 

then we'll know who your target audience is

P.S. I've worked hard to get into IronMan's club.  I'm going to go stand by my mailbox to wait for my membership card to arrive.  

dkh
Level 15

@IRonMaN   I'm so excited that I'm getting a membership card.   I'll post a video to TikTok of the moment I receive it. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

For anybody else interested, I am currently on a membership drive.  Membership is FREE.  That's right, it is FREE, FREE, FREE.  Hard to believe you could find something FREE on an Intuit sponsored forum, but it is FREE.  Membership includes a laminated membership card with your name proudly displayed on the front of it.  For anyone joining in the month of April, I will include an autographed book I wrote when I first started here.  It is called "The Art of Sarcasm" ------ I hope you enjoy it.  I am also throwing in for the next 24 new members a complete collection of Sven and Ole jokes.  Operators aren't standing by, but I am so join now!  It's FREE!

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

@dkh - You will also be receiving the other freebies mentioned.  I'll look forward to seeing that Tik Tok video.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

After all this time, Jeff - I would think I'm grandfathered in to the club.  Oh well, sign me up, send me my card ASAP please sir 🙂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, to be honest, I didn't know I had a club until this morning.  But now that I know, I'm doing the best to recruit the best members possible.  Those that don't provide depreciation schedules to their former clients need not apply.

Slava Ukraini!
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

That commercial on TV...  Come in, and don't do your taxes....  Some people really take that to heart and think it is all over when they drop off their current year tax docs.  Ahem, if it isn't too much bother, we need those two signed and dated forms back please.