Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SECTION 121 EXCLUSION FOR HOUSE HELD IN AN IRREVOCABLE TRUST

woodchelle
Level 2

Husband & spouse put home in an irrevocable trust in 2018.  Husband died in 2020.  Trust sold house in 2023 while spouse still living.  Section 121 exclusion should still apply for the spouse on the sale as she lived in the house the entire time and is the grantor in the trust.  Where on Form 1041 can the exclusion be reflected?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
abctax55
Level 15

should still apply ....

I'm not sure that statement is correct, for an irrevocable trust.  Was this for medicaid reasons?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Doesnt the 1041 have a Home Sale Worksheet like the 1040? 

If you use the Where Do I Enter button and type Home Sale it will take you to it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
woodchelle
Level 2

Yes, it was originally done for medicaid reasons.  After the husband died, the wife decided to move in with her daughter and the trust sold the house.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Your clients may need to chat with a attorney:

Sale of Principal Residence by Irrevocable Trust: Top Strategies » (estatecpa.com)

Or maybe @BobKamman will stop by.

( Generic Comment )"
dascpa
Level 11

If the trust was an IDGT "intentionally defective grantor trust" then the estate attorney should be thanked as the home sale gain exclusion still applies.

abctax55
Level 15

@dascpa  

Let's hope so.

I guess...

( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and is the grantor in the trust."

In my experience, it matters who is the beneficiary, not grantor, for irrevocable trust.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers