Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule E loss carry forward

nolanm
Level 4

Hi all

TP self prepared in 2019 and showed a loss on Schedule E of $35k. Took the $25k loss in 2019 and showed a disallowed loss in 2019 return of $10k. I believe I can carry forward to 2020 but am not sure where to enter it. I used the Federal   Carryover Worksheet and entered the $10k into Line 14a - Net operating loss available to carry forward.

Any views if this is correct? Does this qualify as an NOL and if not where do I enter the $10k.  E was a rental property with deprecation and other costs way exceeding rental income.

Thanks for any help

Nolan

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
It doesnt sound like an NOL.

Scroll down the Sch E worksheet and you should find a place to enter the carryover of disallowed/suspended losses.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
It doesnt sound like an NOL.

Scroll down the Sch E worksheet and you should find a place to enter the carryover of disallowed/suspended losses.

nolanm
Level 4

ah thanks Lisa, I see it now. Entered as on schedule E in line 'G" as a passive loss carryover - Schedule E suspended loss.

Investment real-estate, so I believe passive is correct?

Thanks again Nolan

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
that sounds right!

gfpstaxes
Level 4

What happens if the loss is during the last year of renting?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

does the loss carryover to the 8582?  is the rental being sold or just not being rented anymore?

0 Cheers
gfpstaxes
Level 4

Just not rented anymore

0 Cheers