Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBA loans

Schlof
Level 3

The SBA made loan payments for 6 months for a client.  Everything I read online is dated to 10/2020 and says those payment made on their behalf will be taxable income.  Has IRS come out since then to say this is not taxable income?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

The bill passed in late December made this tax free.

Ex-AllStar
Schlof
Level 3

I know PPP loans, and EIDL grants are tax free.  But I have not read anything that gave the tax free status to the 6 months of the SBA micro loan payments made on behalf of the loan holders?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

For Fed reporting: The SBA payments are tax free; the Interest still is deductible.

"Under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, P.L. 116-136, the SBA is authorized to pay six months of principal, interest, and fees on covered SBA loans. The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, P.L. 116-260, provides that these payments are not includible in the borrower’s gross income. In addition, Notice 2021-6, issued Jan. 19, waived Form 1099-MISC reporting requirements for these payments."

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/news/2021/feb/irs-corrected-information-return-form-1099-misc.h...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sjrcpa
Level 15

Where've you been since December 27?

Ex-AllStar
Dave Kropp
Level 3

So the principal portion is tax exempt and the interest portion is deductible?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"So the principal portion is tax exempt"

Principal is never a tax deduction. The principal is paying down the debt balance.

"and the interest portion is deductible?"

Interest can be defined as "the cost of borrowing" and if the purpose of the loan (the use of the funds borrowed) meets a deductible purpose for this entity as defined by the IRS, then the interest is deductible per the IRS.

Otherwise, that's just too vague of a question. Sorry.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
ljr
Level 8

unless the client continued to make the payments on the loan (bank gave my client that option) as well as the SBA making the 6 payments then there should be no interest to deduct. The SBA paid the principal only and it is not taxable income.