Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client received refund check under wrong name

cabooktax
Level 2

Hello,

I have a client that just contacted me saying they received their paper refund check under their wrong last name and I need to fix it.  I have tried contacting the IRS many times, but gives me the run-around and cannot reach a live agent.  What should I do?  Their bank cannot accept the check as it is misspelt.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

14 Comments 14
BobKamman
Level 15

Deposit it through an ATM.  They'll take anything.  

Was this an e-filed return?   The client didn't want a direct deposit?  (Probably doesn't want a vaccination, either.)  

qbteachmt
Level 15

My name gets misspelled all the time. I just sign the back both ways.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
was it spelled wrong on the tax return as well? or have the refund check printers gone rogue?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
cabooktax
Level 2

Yes, It was misspelled on the tax return as well.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
What did the Practitioner Priority Service tell you to do when you called?

Is there a local IRS office near you at all? May be easier to fix in person.

0 Cheers
cabooktax
Level 2

It's easier to get a hold of Biden than the local IRS office...

0 Cheers
cabooktax
Level 2

yes, this was filed as an e-file return.  They are more comfortable in receiving checks I guess. Ok, so their last name was totally wrong on the tax return and on the paper check.  Are you sure this will not affect the deposit at an ATM when the check is being cleared?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Yes, It was misspelled on the tax return as well."

The check can be deposited. The rest can be fixed separately.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-didn-t-notice-that-my-name-was-misspelled-on-my...

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3vgdrc/irs_spelled_my_name_wrong_on_refund_check/

qbteachmt
Level 15

Just to comment that you posted while I was replying. This is a bit different: "Ok, so their last name was totally wrong on the tax return and on the paper check."

What matters is the significance. Gomes or Gomez is the not the same as Smith vs Gomez. I don't know what "totally wrong" means.

cabooktax
Level 2

Sorry I miscommunicated. Their last name is actually Guardado and I mistakenly put "Gallardo".

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I'm surprised the IRS didn't reject that as a mismatch, then.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I agree, this should have been rejected....are these new clients? Did you see their IDs and SS cards? Something seems fishy here.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Well, if you can run it through the ATM machine or online banking you’ll probably have to amend the tax return and then  request re-issuance. It’s a fairly ugly process and will likely take a few months. 

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irtrconlinehelp.jsp

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
BobKamman
Level 15

The "name check" I usually see is just the first four letters of the last name.  If IRS sees Schm, they don't look farther for Schmid or Schmuck.  But maybe that has changed.  

ATM's don't look at names on checks.  When clients ask me how to make out their check, I tell them they can write "Osama bin Laden" for all the bank cares.  I have a rubber stamp for deposits to my business account; I don't sign anything.  Last month a client had a small health-insurance refund check payable to his wife, who died two years ago.  He was uncomfortable taking it to his bank, so I cashed it for him.