Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repayment of social security

dbtaxsolutions
Level 4

Using line 16 Sch A worksheet does not populate anywhere. 

It's not letting me claim either Itemized or credit? how does it work in proseries?

I have a $5380 repaymentin 2022 that was taxed $1601 in 2021.

Any tips on how this works in proseries basic? Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dbtaxsolutions
Level 4

I figured it out. the tax equivalent of the repayment goes in Sch 3, part II , line 13 d . Section 1341 claim of rights credit for income included in prior years. 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You need to take a look at pub 915 in part it says "Any repayment of benefits you made during 2022 must be subtracted from the gross benefits you received in 2022. It doesn’t matter whether the repayment was for a benefit you received in 2022 or in an earlier year. If you repaid more than the gross benefits you received in 2022"

If you come up with a negative number and its under $3000 your done. If over $3000 then you have to refigure the tax a couple of ways. see pub 915 for instruction. If your client is MFJ, and both on SS I believe you have to net both of The SS benefits to see if it is negative. Proseries will not help you. You have to do the math yourself

dbtaxsolutions
Level 4

The SS benefit was from deceased spouse, received in 2021 $5830. It was included in spouse income.

There was no social security benefit in 2022, only that she has to repay this $5380. so it shows as $-5830 repayment, no benefit .

I have the numbers, The repayment of $5380 and the tax associated with it in 2021, $1601

The question, is how to make the proseries software work so whatever i select shows in the right place?

thanks

0 Cheers
dbtaxsolutions
Level 4

I figured it out. the tax equivalent of the repayment goes in Sch 3, part II , line 13 d . Section 1341 claim of rights credit for income included in prior years. 

sontran
Level 1

Thank you so much for sharing this!