Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repayment of Social Security

genius
Level 2

Joint return. Husband and wife both get taxable social security. 85% of total is taxed every year. Husband repays more social security in 2022 for old years than he receives, negative Box 5 (More than combined TP and Spouse received). Not interested in Credit. Repaid is $16,000. I am going to deduct box 4, repaid amount of SSA-1099 on Schedule A. Or do I deduct 85% on Line 16 of Schedule A? Do I need to report Box 3 (current year benefits) of SSA-1099 as his SS received for the year on page 1? 

Thank you

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
qbteachmt
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p915

"What is covered in this publication.

This publication covers the following topics"

"...Deductions related to your benefits, including a deduction or credit you can claim if your repayments are more than your gross benefits."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
genius
Level 2

I have read pub 915. That is how I know all about credit vs deduction and where to take the deduction.

My 2 questions are NOT in pub 915, which is why I posted. 

1. Put Box 3 on Page 1?

2. Deduct 100% or 85%?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

If you complete the Smart Worksheet at the bottom of the Social Security Benefits Worksheet ,where it gives you the ability to enter information from all boxes on 1099SA , where do the numbers flow to ?  

0 Cheers
genius
Level 2

I appreciate the try. Absolutely Nothing happens. It nets them out as zero and brings nothing to page 1 of 1040 and brings nothing to schedule A. 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Nothing happens is disappointing to hear.

Can this client itemize?  wondering if the 100% or 85% will make a difference

0 Cheers
genius
Level 2

huge itemized yes. 85 or 100% would make a difference. And does the Box 3 go on page 1?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

My interpretation of P915 -

no box 3 does not go on page 1 

100% is the deduction not 85%

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You can't net husband's deficit against wife's income. 

The repayment was only $16,000?  I seldom see a client with annual benefits less than that (with the exception of retired government employees who didn't pay into Social Security).  How big a negative number is Box 5?

0 Cheers
genius
Level 2

You are correct. He was a known Public Employee with a very large pension and wife has small SS. He and wife each get about 8k a year SS and he repaid 16k+

I'm not looking to Net. I want to deduct the repayment, Box 4 on A. Someone on this chat said only deduct the taxable amount, ie. 85%. I also feel like I would need to report Box 3, this years amount received on page 1. Can't find these answers in the pub.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

So it turns out Pub 915 says you can net his negative against her positive.  And that still leaves you with a negative?  If it's under $3,000 you're out of luck.  If more, you can claim it on Schedule A, Line 16, or go through the computations for the Section 1341 credit.  

But it's the net Box 5 amount that you deduct.  Not Box 4.  

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Fire the client........life is toooo short for such big problems!😀😀

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@BobKamman wrote:

So it turns out Pub 915 says you can net his negative against her positive.  And that still leaves you with a negative?  If it's under $3,000 you're out of luck.  If more, you can claim it on Schedule A, Line 16, or go through the computations for the Section 1341 credit.  

But it's the net Box 5 amount that you deduct.  Not Box 4.  

I think Bob gets the Solve on this one.

If they each get $8K and he repays $16K it sounds like that nets out to $0 (or within $3K of it).  No income and no deduction in the TCJA era.

Pub 915 (2022) page 15 bottom of column 1 into column 2:

Repayment of benefits received in an earlier year. If
the total amount shown in box 5 of all of your Forms
SSA-1099 and RRB-1099 is a negative figure, you may be
able to deduct part of this negative figure that represents
benefits you included in gross income in an earlier year, if
the figure is more than $3,000.

This language aligns with IRC 1341 which requires the repayment amount to be "included in gross income for a prior taxable year."  In this case only 85% of the prior SSA benefits were "included in gross income" under IRC 86.

dkh
Level 15

Pub525 page 37 - Repayments    can be reported as Other Itemized Deduction on Sched A Line 16  

0 Cheers
dbtaxsolutions
Level 4

I am following this thread, but entering it on line 16 Sch A worksheet does not populate anywhere. 

It's not letting me claime neither Itemized nor credit? how does it work in proseries?

I have a $5380 repaymentin 2022 that was taxed $1601 in 2021.

Any tips on how this works in proseries basic? Thanks

0 Cheers