Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejection Notice

Franchesca
Level 2

Hello, Proseries sent the below notification. When I read the notification at first, I understood the return was rejected because the dependent listed on the return has already been claimed by someone else. However, as I continue reading, it appears that it was the taxpayer who has already been claimed as dependent. Can someone help me to understand the rejection notice please. Thank you! 

I filed a return for a young taxpayer who is claiming her young daughter as dependent. 

Description: *****(/efile:Return/efile:ReturnHeader/efile:Filer[1]/efile:PrimarySSN)

Error Detail:
If there are dependents provided on the return, then the Primary SSN in the Return Header must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on a previously accepted return for the same tax period.
Error Resolution:
This return has been rejected by the IRS because the taxpayer has been listed as a dependent on another tax return. Verify that the taxpayer's Social Security Number has been entered correctly.

If the taxpayer has been listed as a dependent on another tax return for the current tax year, no dependents can be claimed on this return. In order to file electronically, the dependents must be removed from this return.

If you feel that this reject has been received in error, and you do not want to remove the dependents from this return, you may print and file by mail.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

It is saying the taxpayer has been claimed as a dependent on another return, or at least their SSN was shown as a dependent on another return. 

So double check the SSN. If it's correct your client needs to paper file.

The other return could have an innocent error or it could be a fraudulent return.

Ex-AllStar
Franchesca
Level 2

Thank you!