Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rejected efiling

wimada
Level 3

I have a really sore issue to discuss and hopefully there will be resolution for next tax season. This just happened this evening Oct. 17 to a very complex, voluminous tax return. I efiled the file on Oct. 14 or thereabouts with Ø diagnostic issues. The returns were accepted by Intuit.
Today, I received an efiling update which informed me that both the federal and state returns were rejected due to the need to attach a pdf form, specifically Form 1116 Schedule B. I duly attached the requisite pdf form and the diagnostics were still Ø errors. I then learned to my dismay that I CANNOT efile the corrected return since the original efiling was completed so that the client's SSN is "IDENTICAL to that of another return in the EFILE Homebase view which has been e-filed".
The hardcopy of this federal return itself is in excess of 200 pages so not being able to efile is quite inconvenient, to say the least.
There should be a way to get past this type of situation, albeit a fairly rare occurrence.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
wimada
Level 3

Please use this solution as opposed to the initial one I posted which postulated that this could be solved if it were possible to "remove" the previously filed return so that the corrected return with the same ssn can be efiled.

Bethany of Intuit efiling support walked me through the simplest yet elegant work around. Simply open the original efiled return and change one digit of the ssn (I changed the last digit). Also uncheck "Electronic Filing" from the federal information worksheet of that return. Worked like a charm!! 

Apparently since there's no longer an identical ssn to the "corrected" return, one will not get the efiling error notice of the same ssn having been efiled earlier.

Much kudos to Bethany! 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
JAID1946
Level 1

I'm having same problem as wimada, what options do we have to fix error. My 1116B is attached !

0 Cheers
wimada
Level 3

Since it is the IRS that rejected the return even though Intuit accepted it, the issue is Intuit's having the rejected return with the ssn/tin on its server. Then the corrected return naturally uses the same ssn/tin to efile and "conflicts" with the rejected file/return.

There should be an option for the authorized efiling preparer to delete the originally efiled but IRS rejected return so that the original return on Intuit's server is no longer there to conflict with the corrected return. This action has absolutely no negative effects since there actually has been no actual submission to the IRS. Literally "no harm, no foul". All of the "activity" is completely internal within Intuit.

I see no real or potential downside resulting from this programming tweak.

0 Cheers
wimada
Level 3

Please use this solution as opposed to the initial one I posted which postulated that this could be solved if it were possible to "remove" the previously filed return so that the corrected return with the same ssn can be efiled.

Bethany of Intuit efiling support walked me through the simplest yet elegant work around. Simply open the original efiled return and change one digit of the ssn (I changed the last digit). Also uncheck "Electronic Filing" from the federal information worksheet of that return. Worked like a charm!! 

Apparently since there's no longer an identical ssn to the "corrected" return, one will not get the efiling error notice of the same ssn having been efiled earlier.

Much kudos to Bethany! 

wimada
Level 3

Much kudos to Bethany! 

0 Cheers