Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reject message on attempting to E-file S Corp return

dsocpa
Level 5

The error message is the shareholder's address must begin with a letter or number.  There are 2 shareholder's, address is fine in ProSeries.  The number of shareholders is not.  Last year 2 of the shareholders were bought out by the remaining 2.  I have not been able to successfully change the number from 4 to 2.  I checked the instructions which read any shareholders from the prior year will not transfer if the K-1's were marked "final".  In this case both shareholders whose shares were bought in 2022 had the "final" box checked on their K-1.  I tried deleting the share holder information, deleted the entire transferred file from 2022.   Nothing works, not even overriding the number of shareholders.  Please advise how to correct so that an extension can be filed timely..  

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Uncheck the box indicating the return is going to be e-filed.

Slava Ukraini!
dsocpa
Level 5

Well, I tried, more than once.  I think I'm just going to re-enter the entire return as if a new client.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

My suggestion would work for the extension.  The phantom K-1 for e-filing is another issue.  You could leave the former shareholders in the return and reflect them as zero percent owners to successfully e-file the return.   The phantom K-1 issue flares up from time to time and is a bugger to clear up once it hits.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Well at least I'm not the first user who has experienced this phenomenon.  When you say uncheck the efile extension box you mean I have to mail in the extension?  I haven't had to do that since I don't even remember.  I'll need to read the IRS instructions, LOL...

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

There is a box to check to e-file the return and one for the extension.  Leave the extension checked and uncheck the one for the return.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dsocpa
Level 5

Thought I would give a quick update.  After attempting to "fiddle" with this client's extension for 2 days - at a critical time when revenue stakes are high, I broke down and called tech support.  I actually got a wonderful tech who walked me through correcting. The tech mentioned right off this was a known problem and there was a work around.   As IRonMaN mentioned I had to uncheck the file return electronically for both the federal and state.  Then check the the efile extension for both returns leaving the efile return unchecked.  A misc statement in the name of one of the prior shareholders and an "untitled" basis statement had transferred over.  I had tried to remove them but they kept re-appearing.  There was information on the basis statement, so I zeroed out all the populated boxes and was then able to delete both statements.  Whew, feeling really good about the next step - efiling the extension!  Was about to click on the box when I got a statement that I needed to pay for the return as I had exceeded my limit.  Tech support lady said I'd need to get that straight with customer service because I knew that was incorrect.   I paid for the returns - knowing I'd be playing Russian roulette to call and get decent tech support.  Happy to report both extensions went through fine.  Getting a credit for the duplicated pay per return charge wasn't as easy or as pleasant......