Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What else can go wrong?

PATAX
Level 15

Yesterday, my adding machine broke that was supposed to be heavy duty. Last week, I could not do any returns for two days since I had no electric or Heating due to an ice storm. About 3 weeks ago I had coronavirus, something powerful, that almost put me in the hospital and obviously couldn't work much. The good news is that bad things happen in threes, so I should be okay for a while. I hope that is true, because if I see an owl hooting on top of my roof, then I will be pondering....😉😄

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe we should keep our distance from you so none of that bad luck rubs off on us 😉

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

36 Comments 36
dkh
Level 15

You should buy a lottery ticket cause you're due for some good luck.

PATAX
Level 15

I'm waiting one day to have a dream of the actual Powerball drawing and then I will play, I have a feeling it is coming.. I guess I'm a little superstitious huh?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe we should keep our distance from you so none of that bad luck rubs off on us 😉

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

I hope that dream comes to you soon so you can quit this crazy business and enjoy life.

PATAX
Level 15

No,  you guys will be okay, it's just me... When you take Southern European, and mix it with East European, German, Hungarian Nobility, and Ashkenazim, then you get unique superstitious me....

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

What else can go wrong?

My oracle card reading, tells me NOTHING else will go wrong.  Your luck will actually turn to "good" on March 17.  Everything you need or hope for will be there on April 22.  The only problem is that I didn't buy the Pro Oracle version.  It doesn't show me the year.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
IRonMaN
Level 15

I am the result of a mixed marriage.  My mom clung to her Norwegian roots and my dad was proud of his Slovenian roots.  A few years back I spit in a bottle and sent it in to ancestry.com.  When they got done shaking up that bottle of spit I found out that I am actually 57% Scandinavian and 43% an Eastern European mix.  Sounds like a couple of those Vikings did a road trip to Eastern Europe and found true love.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I did both the ancestry DNA and the 23andMe. But before that I became quite good at researching genealogy and ethnicity. In fact I would like to open up a genealogy research service that people would pay for, and I bet you I would do quite good at that since many  people will not mind paying to find out their genealogy and ancestry.

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh yeah you sure are right about that dkh. But it is not that bad, I have good clients and I make a good living at this... I just like to complain a lot that's all, it must be genetic....

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: 57% Scandinavian and 43% an Eastern European mix

You finally rounded some numbers up...  Sooooo proud of you.  I bet those percentages had at least 6 decimal places.

I also heard that if you had any East European blood mix, you got to also have a percentage point or two of Genghis Khan...  But then, it could just be a sale pitch of real estate in Mongolia.

PATAX
Level 15

@joshuabarksatlcs Joshua you are exactly correct about the Mongolian DNA, especially among the Hungarian people. The Magyars, as you know, are descended from Mongolian and Asiatic tribes, and the average Hungarian has about 1% or so of Asiatic DNA. Myself I have no Asiatic DNA. But I do have about 1% DNA that is unknown. Could it be alien blood? I hope so then maybe aliens will come down and take me up in their spaceship...😄🛸

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Could it be alien blood?

This is what I heard: If you have alien blood, you'd - from time to time - stare into the sky for no reason.  I don't stare into the sky, which shows I have NO alien blood.  From time to time, I just stare at women.  That probably shows I came from a woman...  

IRonMaN
Level 15

"from time to time - stare into the sky for no reason"

Aliens............ and bored people tend to do that.

Slava Ukraini!
EarlineLaBuy
Level 3

Try to stay positive. Also prayers help. 

BobKamman
Level 15

You mean people charge money for doing genealogy? I do it all the time for my clients, for free. I mean, they book half an hour for an appointment, back in the days when we could sit in the same room, and the return takes 10 minutes. I’m not that good at poker, I’ll lose the fee if I pull out a deck of cards. Family history fills the time and keeps my mind sharp.

I just finished a return for a client with a German surname, whose paternal ancestors are from the same small area of Prussia/Hannover as mine. If you’re looking for German locations, the geogen website is great.

I did the DNA thing and my closest match is the director of a museum in Florence. (Italy, not the site of the Arizona state prison.)

I have a 19th Century print on my wall of the Norman church in Oxford where one of my colonial Virginia ancestors was baptized in 1626. A client asked me about it and she thought I said Mormon. A reasonable mistake.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: I do it all the time for my clients, for free. 

If only you charged your clients for it over the years, you would be retired and hanging out in Oxford!! 

PATAX
Level 15

@EarlineLaBuy @joshuabarksatlcs @BobKamman @IRonMaN @dkh thanks to all for their posts... FedEx brought new adding machine... Time to start working now before the roosters start crowing.....

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

****-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOO

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

By the way, the heavy duty adding machine that FedEx just brought, which model?

I have to replace mine - been using a spare.  My old one was a Sharp that I bought in 1989.  Finally broke down last year. 

Exactly what my grandpa said about his shoes: "They don't make things like the old days any more.  This pair lasted only 30 years...."  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like accountants talking.  Other people talk about cars, boats, airplanes, etc, and accountants get excited over talking about adding machines.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Joshua, it is a Casio model dr-210r heavy-duty.. I bought it directly from Casio and paid extra for 2 day shipping the fastest they offer. I bought it Monday before lunch and I received it yesterday in the evening.

PATAX
Level 15

For Joshua

20220209_122043.jpg

IRonMaN
Level 15

You didn't pay extra to get the one with racing stripes? 😉

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

This was the closest to the old model that they had. I think the old one was only about two years old. Maybe not having heat and got cold in the office shortened its lifespan. My prior adding machine was so old that it was around when Moby was a minnow. I guess they don't make things like they used to.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

and accountants get excited over talking about adding machines.

Only lowly accountants like me.  (@PATAX  responded; so, he may not be really excited.)  High-level accountants get excited over talking about the legislative intent of Section 1231(c)(4)(iv)(b)....  

See?  As @BobKamman  is likely going to point out, wrong citation.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

OMG.  I'm relatively a newbie here.  I hope @PATAX is a he....

PATAX
Level 15

Last time I went shopping with a t-shirt on, in a college town, quite a few college girls were hitting on me. So I think it is safe to assume that I am definitely a man.🤓💪🐕

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

My deduction: the T-shirt was dry.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Well if you wouldn't go bothering those girls, they wouldn't be hitting you.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@joshuabarksatlcs thank God for good genetics that I have , I look younger than what I am... my great-grandfather and great-grandmother both live to be around a hundred years old and were in pretty good shape.... they had 13 children.

PATAX
Level 15

😄👍 actually I think being a nerd may be in style now.... a neighbor who claimed to be a playboy in his younger days, claimed that if you ignore ladies,  that they are like cats, and will actually be attracted more to you.. I don't like that because Heidi doesn't like cats, as well as squirrels, and other Critters. And she is the boss.🐕

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

You've got great genes and good neighbors.  Your neighborhood deserves a wonderful 120-year old tax guy.  Keep your adding machine oiled...

PATAX
Level 15

As brother Spock said " I hope I live long and prosper"....🛸

IRonMaN
Level 15

I fired up my DeLorean and took a little trip to the future.  Here is PA getting ready for his next client at 120 years old.120 tax preparer.jpg

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

LOL! Lord have mercy.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

And, at the age of 120, he forget to put on a T-shirt...